B-12 and Anemia

Jvino
on 8/13/14 3:02 pm

I haven't posted in awhile. Almost 10 months now since surgery down about 120. Everything is going ok. My recent labs have shown me being anemic. I have increased my iron intake hopefully that helps a bit. Question that I have is that I started taking this B-12 nasal spray, nascobal. it is a little expensive I was curious what you guys thought and how much the B-12 injections cost and if they work well. 

Thanks again. 

MickeyDee
on 8/13/14 3:14 pm

I've used the sublingual B12 available from Trader Joe's 4X weekly, and have nice B12 levels.  They melt very quickly and are almost  tasteless.

poet_kelly
on 8/13/14 7:22 pm - OH

I pay $8 for two doses of B12 injections, plus about 25 cents per syringe.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 8/13/14 10:48 pm - Warren, OH

Kelly, are you doing injections because sublingual does not work for you?  Are you also using sublingual B12?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

poet_kelly
on 8/13/14 11:51 pm - OH

No, I'm doing them because I didn't like the sublinguals.  They made me nauseous.  I already take about a million pills a day (33, actually) and I just prefer the injections.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 8/13/14 10:47 pm - Warren, OH

I was talking to my doctor about B12 injections when I was in his office on Tuesday.  I used to get injections there 20 years ago.  He said that they used to do about twenty injections a day and now they might do two or three a week.  Almost all of his patients are keeping their levels up with sublingual B12.  He recommends a sublingual B12 with B6 and Folic Acid. 

Back when I went in for weekly injections they charged $10 and not covered by insurance.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/14/14 5:41 am

My body does not retain B12.. i give myself weekly B12 shot - My insurance covers them - copay for 4 a month= $8 + syringes) so 1 B12 shot costs me 2.20.. I don't like them - but I function much better and after 3 years on weekly - finally my B12 stays close to 1000.. Even on massive B12 sublinguals I was lucky to have level of 600....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Esta F.
on 8/13/14 11:13 pm - IL
RNY on 07/25/12

My husband gives me my injection once a month.  It's covered under my insurance all I pay is .55 for the syringe :)

chris53212
on 8/13/14 11:52 pm

I use Trader Joes.  my B-12 is excellent.  Are you having problems with your B-12 levels?  If not, I personally wouldn't bother. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/14 12:46 am

I use sublingual B12 that I get at Walmart, it is extremely cheap and I have not had any problems with my B12 levels. From what others have told me the injections are usually fairly inexpensive I think but the sublinguals I use are cherry flavored and dissolve quickly/easily so I prefer that over a shot.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics