The Day Before The Start Of Your New Life

iHeartTeas
on 8/18/14 8:22 am

This Thursday will be the final day I will be my current me. Friday I go in for surgery. Normally on big occasions I would celebrate with a nice meal a drink or two with friends and family but clearly I can't do that. 

What did you do the day before?

I'll be spending quality time with my husband and kids. I bought the new Scooby Doo movie so we will be watching that. I can't think of anything I'd rather do than to spend time with them.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/18/14 8:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had my surgery on New Year's Eve.  I remember thinking that it was such a symbolic day for the very same reason.  Now is a great time to really contemplate how you feel about food: why are big occasions about a nice meal and drinks?  You have it so right: it's about the people we are with.  

I wish you a joyous and peaceful day before your surgery.  You are going to love the freedom from the power food has to keep you from seeing how celebratory life really is!  I am so happy for you.  See you on the other side.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

iHeartTeas
on 8/18/14 8:44 am

Thank you so much! I just have one question. People talk about the freedom from food that I will get after surgery and I just was wondering how that happens? I am sorry if that question doesn't make a lot of sense. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/18/14 9:11 am
RNY on 12/31/13

No, it makes a LOT of sense.  I remember being very worried that I would fail WLS, too.  For me, everything revolved around food.  Celebrations, sadness, grief, anger, happiness -- events: birthdays, funerals, Wednesday.  You get the idea.  

Now, I am a relative newbie (so I don't know about long-term or maintenance yet) -- but one thing that I found very shocking is that food is no longer the focus of everything to me.  Mind you, I have and continue to work on it with my support group, a counselor and here -- but surgery made a pretty profound difference from the get-go.  I don't know if it's this way for everyone, but I am so grateful it is for me.  I enjoy cooking for my family and don't feel deprived.  I love to go out to eat --- but really just for the break from cooking and to enjoy the company.  I am really just as happy drinking a protein shake as I am eating lobster.  I would never have believed it before surgery.  I am telling you, I could eat two dinners (and secretly did at times) without a second thought.  

I remember asking my doctor about this -- He said something about ghrelin hormones are lessened and how people are often re-set after surgery.  I read somewhere that it has to do with cutting the vagus nerve -- but really, just like my diabetes was "cured" before even leaving the hospital after surgery, I don't think they really know why.  

iHeartTeas
on 8/18/14 9:36 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I think I understand what you mean. I hope the same happens to me. Especially being Diabetes free before even leaving the hospital.  I still have heavy mixed emotions but I am back on the surgery track thanks mostly to all of you here.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/18/14 10:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I sincerely hope it does, too.  You've got a lot to look forward to.  It's a crazy ride! 

Jenn S.
on 8/18/14 10:00 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

The day before was a Sunday. I slept in, and since I was on clear liquids the whole day, I decided to just keep myself busy.  I made sure my house was clean, then I made sure I had plenty of stuff in the house for my new diet.  I read, watched a movie with my son, and had a relaxing day.  I enjoyed it.  I just kept imagining how good I was going to feel in 6 months.  I am now just 2 months out and I am already feeling wonderful.  My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

joansch
on 8/19/14 7:03 am

My surgery is 28 Aug, and I booked a massage and Reiki session for the day before, to relax and get things aligned before surgery. I'll be on liquids that day, and will enjoy the time alone and just for myself.

Best wishes to you -- can't want to hear how it goes, since I'm right behind you.

Joan

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 483 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 179 views