Tired

GodsChildII
on 8/17/14 4:21 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I am 10 days post OP and I can't seem to muster any energy. I AM SO TIRED all the time. I get up, get dressed and do household chores (with lots of breaks in between). I walk everyday for 30 minutes on the treadmill and I AM EXHAUSTED! I will return back to work full time tomorrow and I have no idea how I am going to make it through the day. 

is being this tired and lethargic normal? Any suggestions on increasing my energy?

Jenn S.
on 8/17/14 4:33 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

It was normal for me. Remember you just had major surgery.    I would make sure to go to bed early and get as much rest as possible.  I was tired when I went back to work but each day got better and things started to get more normal.  As I lost weight, I also began to sleep better so I think that played a big part in how I felt.  Hang in there, it gets better and you will eventually have more energy than you know what to do with.

poet_kelly
on 8/17/14 6:04 am - OH

Yes, it's normal and you may not be ready to go back to work yet.

How much are you drinking?  How many calories are you getting?  how much protein?  Getting enough of those things will help with energy, but you're still pretty early out.  It's normal to be tired right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GodsChildII
on 8/17/14 6:15 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Thank you guys for being so AWESOME and answering all of my "is this normal" questions. I really can't express enough how much your support has helped me through this process. 

PK: I am having one protein shake a day (30g) and fage geek yogurt (22g) and about (20g) additionally of protein in other foods. I am drinking between 40 to 48 ounces of water per day ( I know that I need to increase that).

As it relates to food, I can only get in about two or three tablespoons of food at a time. I am taking in about 1000-1100 calories per day.

poet_kelly
on 8/17/14 6:24 am - OH

Protein and calorie-wise, you're fine, then.  Increasing your fluids might help with energy a little.  But also, you just had major surgery.  It will take a while to recover fully.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 8/17/14 7:09 am - Brighton, IL

You are totally normal my dear! We tend to think that because we have little bitty incisions we should just bounce right back. We had major surgery and rerouting done though and all the side effects of general anesthesia. Be patient with yourself and realize each day will get a bit better and increase your fluids a bit too. You are doing great!

MickeyDee
on 8/17/14 5:19 pm

General Anesthesia really does a number on us;  it's very toxic to our systems, and it can take a few WEEKS to completely clear it out of our systems.  

I didn't feel really well for almost a month--YMMV.  Everyone is different.  

Maybe you can do 1/2 days for a week or so?  I know being off work for too long isn't looked upon with favor by many companies, but maybe with a note from your surgeon something can be arranged??

Samantha F.
on 8/17/14 11:39 pm - Coden, AL
RNY on 06/09/14

I was also anxious to get back on my feet and people kept reminding me that my body was recovering from major surgery. I'm 10 weeks post op today and my energy level has definitely picked up. Even six weeks out, I was less energetic than i wanted to be. So, it will get better.....promise

TexasLady52
on 8/18/14 12:49 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I was given the advice that the first month you should concentrate on letting your body heal! You have put your body thru alot.  I took off four weeks and I needed everyone of them.  The first week back I worked half days and got home exhausted!.  My boss's wife had the surgey the year prior, so he was very understanding and very helpful!  His wife told me it took her about 90 days to feel totally back to normal and have plenty of energy.

NoDaybut2Day
on 8/18/14 12:52 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

It's rough going back to work!  I was a zombie my first week back.  I NEEDED sleep every day at about 3pm and had to just keep working.  I got myself home, ate dinner and went to bed every day that first week.  It got better each week but last week, my 3rd week back to work, was the first week I felt pretty good.  It's a process.  Get plenty of sleep and rest tons ot he week-ends!!!!

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics