Tired with leg cramps

Rebecca S.
on 8/21/14 1:39 am
RNY on 05/23/14

RNY 5/23/14

I have been so energetic since my surgery that it was absolutely crazy. For the past week I am extremely tired and I am experiencing leg cramps I never had before. Tomorrow is my follow-up with the surgeon. What do you think I am low on as far as nutrition goes?

Info Session Aug 15, 2013-Surgery Date May 23, 2014 (281 day process) for my Roux-en-Y gastric bypass experience

jefferytmc
on 8/21/14 1:45 am

I have not had any issues with leg cramps, but my wife who is 9 months post op has recently started having such issues.

In my searching for her, I have seen the top candidates be potassium, magnesium, and calcium.  I eat a lot of bananas, but my wife does not.  So potassium is high on that list for her, and I also think her magnesium intake is probably not adequate (though not sure mine is either).

Hope the visit with the surgeon provides some answers.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Kathyjs
on 8/21/14 4:57 am

Increase potassium and water

gigglestyx
on 8/21/14 1:45 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Potassium maybe?

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/21/14 2:49 am

sodium, calcium, magnesium potassium, etc..

Most of us don't eats lot and it is mostly low sodium foods.. just trying is pickle juice or even salty broth can help.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Karen M.
on 8/21/14 5:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

The cramps could be the result of many things - dehydration, low potassium, etc. Since you are seeing your surgeon, I would ask for blood labs to check your levels. As always, wait for the results and advice before adding supplements.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

aesposito
on 8/21/14 7:32 am

For me, painful foot, hand and leg cramps were cured with more magnesium, more potassium and more fluids.  But if I forget/run out of supplements for more than a few days, the cramps come back...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 215 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 373 views
Recent Topics