Well I just outed myself to the biggest gossip queen at work...

kbb0185
on 8/22/14 12:47 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Looks like everyone in the office is going to know now!  And everyone I know personally seems to know too, because this person told that person. etc.

Oh well, I am just going to own it and be proud!!

Surgery Date: 07/15/2014

Ocalasam
on 8/22/14 1:27 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Honestly, it's easier just to put it out there, people will likely figure it out anyway!  It's too hard to remember whom you've told and whom you haven't.  I know it's personal information, but I told anyone who specifically asked me . . . which was about 75% of the people I came in contact with.  I am just not very good at lying when people ask me direct questions.  After 20 months and below goal, I feel great and I look great, so I really don't care what anyone thinks.

Caroline K.
on 8/22/14 2:55 am

Exactly! Plus, I didn't want to be misleading when some people asked how I was doing so well at losing weight. And while I wish I could have done this without surgery, I've made my peace with it.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Karen M.
on 8/22/14 2:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

Actually, that was probably the best way to "get the word out" without having to have a gajillion awkward conversations. lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kbb0185
on 8/22/14 3:05 am
RNY on 07/15/14

hahaha Karen - you are probably right!  It was out of my mouth before I knew it.  A few people at work know, now everyone will! 

Surgery Date: 07/15/2014

poet_kelly
on 8/22/14 3:41 am - OH

Personally, I'd say who cares who knows?  What's wrong with people knowing you're taking control of your health and getting healthier?  That's a good thing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

newlifetax
on 8/22/14 3:55 am
DS on 10/27/14 with

I look at it this way.  I am tired of being ashamed and hiding.  That is one of the reasons I sought help.  When I made the decision to proceed with WLS, I started telling people.  Most of my co-workers have been supportive.  Some have shared concerns and I appreciate that they care enough about me to do that.  Some have been down right unsupportive asking couldn't I do it with exercise, etc.  I have enjoyed support and the ones who are unsupportive really don't care about me anyway so who cares what they think.  

selhard
on 8/22/14 4:21 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

It might be important to tell family, friends, co-workers, etc. for health safety reasons---asking them to mention "gastric bypass" to EMT's if the patient can't speak.  (it's also recommended to consider wearing a medical ID bracelet, as well)

Kathyjs
on 8/22/14 5:21 am

I was so happyI think I told the world. Anyone who thinks this surgery is acop out has no clue. It is a daily commitment for the rest of your life. Nothing easy and I am proud of my self and so should you be. You chose to be healthy,own it girl :-)

MickeyDee
on 8/22/14 5:30 am

It's better than having your entire office wondering if you've got some horrible disease!