Saying goodbye to foods

nurserobin
on 8/22/14 12:58 am

So i have gotten approval from ym insurance! I have to see my surgeon again on Monday to get a date for surgery and I have my pre op class on tuesday. Hoping my date will be in the next 3 weeks.

My question is did anyone else feel they had to have those favorite foods one last time but feel guilty because you are going to go off the diet the surgeon had you on to lose weight before surgery. (Thats not the liquid pre op im talking about but my surgeon had me lose 20 lbs before that.)

ladypoohbear
on 8/22/14 1:12 am

I had mine June 2013. I didn't give up my favorite foods.  Moderation is the key....enjoy and have a great journey.

Ladypoohbear

Ocalasam
on 8/22/14 1:24 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I think MANY of us had some farewell dinners.  I don't think it's crazy at all. . . just don't go overboard.  It will be quite a while before you can have some of those forbidden favorites.  There's still things I can only take a bite or two of because they don't sit well with me after surgery, and I'm 20 months out.  I know personally, I indulged in several favorite foods before surgery, and I am now below goal and not having problems because of this. 

Nola68
on 8/22/14 1:30 am

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op.  I had several foods that I wouldn't be having for a long time if ever.  I was not put on a diet pre-surg other than the 2 day clear liquid just before.  Good luck on your surgery!

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

brienicole
on 8/22/14 3:02 am
RNY on 06/30/14

I didnt have a farewell feast, but I did enjoy a pint... yes a whole PINT of Ben and Jerrys. (I immediatley regretted that desicion). I wont even take a bite now, wont even buy it. 

Brie (brienicole) Band to bypass revision on June 30th 2014 :) 

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/14 1:58 pm
On August 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM Pacific Time, brienicole wrote:

I didnt have a farewell feast, but I did enjoy a pint... yes a whole PINT of Ben and Jerrys. (I immediatley regretted that desicion). I wont even take a bite now, wont even buy it. 

Oh, my.  My sleeve is scheduled for Sept. 9th.  I don't feel the need to gorge on food, however I do want to gorge on a pint of Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Fudge Core.  Love it.

poet_kelly
on 8/22/14 3:40 am - OH

I felt like I had to say goodbye to foods, but let me tell you the truth.  You really don't.  You will be able to eat almost everything after surgery.  There may be a few foods you don't tolerate well, but most things you will be able to eat at least a small amount.  For instance, I do get sick if I eat too much sugar so  I cannot eat a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream any more.  I can, however, eat a couple spoonfuls.  I also make a "chunky monkey" Greek yogurt dish that is very similar to Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey ice cream - banana flavored yogurt with sugar free chocolate chips and walnuts in it.  It's not exactly the same, but it is close enough for me.

Now, it is true that you won't be able to eat everything right away.  And you certainly won't be able to eat the same amounts you can eat now. 

If there is something you really love and want to have  before surgery, I'd suggest having it in a reasonable amount.  For instance, if you love pizza, eat a slice if you need to but don't eat the whole pizza.  You will almost certainly be able to eat pizza again after surgery.  You shouldn't eat it all the time because it is high in carbs and calories, and you won't be able to eat a whole pizza in one sitting... but you will most likely be able to eat pizza.  And you can find new ways to make it healthier, too. 

You are absolutely not giving up good food forever.  There is lots of yummy and healthy food you can eat post op.  I promise.  Check out bariatricfoodie.com and theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com for some really delicious, WLS-friendly recipes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 8/22/14 12:53 pm

I kept telling myself that I had eaten a lifetime share of all the junk so it was time to stop.  You will get to eat some favorites and others will taste terrible and you won't miss them.  It is really true that quantity will be drastically limited and you won't force it after a few attempts.  Trust me.

Use the pre-op time to adjust your attitude toward eating and start cutting out the bread ans sugars.  You will feel better very soon.