dumping can develope months after surgery

glady
on 8/24/14 1:04 am

Im 8 months out. I have been posting alot lately just because I going through tough patch. I was lucky enough to not have any food sensativity post op. Milk and chicken didn't sit well but not so bad I wouldn't eat them. Since I've been on solid foods I've been able eat anything and as long as I didn't eat to fast or too much I was o.k. 

Last month I come back from my work out and have myself a half a cup of cherries for a treat. An hour later a get a gut wrenching pain that feels like the parasite fron Alien is playing twister with my guts. I go to the bathroom have BM and pain goes away. Doc tells me the cherries were too sugary which made me sick and the pain was dumping syndrome. Ok, bummer cause I love cherries. Find out it also happens with peaches. Now I know to be careful with fruit.

Later that month I go out with my cuz and I get a soft shell  chicken taco from taco bell witch I have had since surgery. Again thirty mins later I get gut pain and have to run home to sit on the toilet for half an hour. Last week I'm at work and I didn't bring enough of my string cheese snack so I get Special K bar. Surprise surprise I get the dumps again in middle of work even though I have had this Special K bar before. 

Today. I'm happy I have kept up my work out routine for three weeks so I have one mini powdered donut with my sugar free coffee. Again i have had this before. Here is comes again, pain, nausea, cuddling my toilet for an half an hour. Now its been an hour and I still feel like crap. I had to take nausea meds I was prescribed post op that I hadn't even used untill today. 

So I went from no food sensativity to increasing sensativity to sugar. Even sugar in fruits. I still dont know what about taco bell made me sick...probably just because its taco bell. I did not expect dumping to be painfull. I thought I would just be nausea but that ish hurts. I feel like im starting over with testing out foods to see what is ok and whats not. Crazy all these changes happening suddenly when I thought I had my pouch all figured out.

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/14 9:14 am - OH

If all you are experiencing is intestinal pain and nausea, it probably isn't actually dumping since the hallmarks of the dumping are the increased heart rate, shaking, lightheadedness/dizziness. Dumping generally ISN'T painful.  You feel like you want to die, but generally no pain and no actual vomiting.

People can definitely become more sensitive to sugars over time (just as some people get less sensitive over time), but it really doesn't sound like dumping.  I have gotten sick off of cherries before (not sure why, but my system does not like too many cherries!), but don't actually dump off of fruit (even larger amounts than I should eat as far as carb content... And I can eat a serious amount of melon if I don'****ch my portions!). 

Fat content can cause digestive distress (although it doesn't sound like that applies to what you are eating) as can sugar alcohols.

No matter what the issue, it doesn't mean you cannot ever have cherries or peaches again.  Try LESS than a half a cup of cherries next time (even at 7 years out, I usually only eat about 4-5 cherries at one sitting).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

april89love
on 8/24/14 9:23 am - NC

Try eating some protein when you are going to eat fruit. It will slow down the sugar dumping.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

White Dove
on 8/24/14 6:28 pm - Warren, OH

Painful cramping and diarrhea is an occasional side-effect of RNY for me.  It does not happen every time I eat fruit or something with sugar.  I attribute it having guts that worked perfectly well before, but not always so well after they were rearranged.  Dairy is often a factor with me.  Most times I can eat fruit with no problems, then out of the blue it will make me sick.

Like dumping, the diarrhea is much less frequent as time goes on for me.  Also like dumping, once the incident is over, I feel fine.  I have had this happen from milk, sugar, fruit, or fat.  It is not exactly dumping, but it is something I accept as part of the price I pay for not being fat anymore.

For me it is completely controllable with diet.  As long as I eat low fat, low sugar and protein forward, it never happens.  Although that leads me to treating constipation.  Like I said, I just consider these issues to be part of my price for getting my weight under control with surgery. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views