Tips on hypoglycemia

pathchic
on 8/25/14 12:55 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Looking for advice- about 10 months post op I stared having issues with hypoglycemia, though it took me a bit to figure it out.  If I push a meal back more than 3 hours I crash - shakes, dizziness, woozy, faint... Feels like I'm tipsy.  Talked to my NUT *****commended adding more complex carbs ( at the time I was essentially eating none).  This, and making sure I kept on schedule with my eating, helped greatly particularly during the day.  The mornings, however are a different story.  I wake up every morning feeling like this and it takes me several hours before I feel like my head is on straight.  It's worse if I eat any carbs after 9 PM.  NUT suggested a late night protein snack, which I must admit I haven't been doing.  I'm just not hungry at night and I forget.  I'm going to have to set a reminder on my phone I guess.  Anyway, I figure I'm not the only one who is dealing with this and was wondering if anyone had any tips on combating...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/25/14 1:40 am - OH

I, too, have regular hypoglycemia.  I also had trouble in the mornings, so I did exactly what they suggested to you: I added a snack of a combination of protein and carbs about 15 minutes before bed.  

I usually have yogurt, some cheese and 1-2 whole grain crackers, or even just a half cup of milk.  When I do that I have no trouble in the morning at all.  A couple of times I tried a protein-only snack (e.g., a slice of deli turkey) and that wasn't helpful, and a carb-only snack (e.g., just crackers) probably not only isn't going to help but also will likely make things worse.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/14 2:18 am

I get a nice serving of nuts just before bed..   Or nut butter.. That has the fats - proteins and some carbs.. also - nuts don't "spoil" in my guts so I don't wake up with mouth full of acid ...

The nuts digest slowly... I found out that my worse issues are after a meal - but if I eat nuts before bed - I don't need to eat until 11-or even 1 pm.. (as long as I don't add creamer to my coffee)  Once I start eating again - It feels like I HAVE to eat every 2-3 hrs.  With delaying "breakfast" - I can manage my calories and "afford" the 200 cal as LNS. 

More fats than carbs is my typical solution to balance my BS. I still eat carbs - but not many... (unless I don't mind to get severe RH)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pathchic
on 8/26/14 12:07 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Wow - I had an ounce of almonds last night before bed and I feel better than I have in months!  Thank you Thank you thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/26/14 1:04 am

You are welcome.. . Glad it worked for you.  I also use nuts or nut butter as follow up for low blood sugar. I get enough carbs to raise my BS- then get 1 Tbs of nut butter...  and that stabilize my BS.  

I carry nut butter in my purse - Justin individual packs.  They are sealed, portable - just enough for emergency situation. I keep a few packs of that in my nightstand.

Try nice brazil nuts - they have so many nutrition - including bio-available selenium.. (most multi has selenium that are just chemicals and are rather toxic for us) I have 4-5 brazil nuts + few almonds or other nuts ... combination... I keep brazil nuts in my freezer.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views