Drain keeps filling

Awillis
on 9/1/14 2:15 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

I am four days post op and my drain is still almost full every day.  Is that normal?  I am supposed to get it out this Friday but wondering how that can happen if I am still oozing?

Do when does it stop?

poet_kelly
on 9/1/14 3:54 am - OH

I don't know.  I didn't have a drain at all.  They didn't tell you what to expect when you left the hospital?  If you have concerns about the drain, I would call your surgeon's office.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 9/1/14 8:31 am - Warren, OH

If you have a drain that is still oozing, then you are getting all of that out of your body.  If they pull the drain too soon the fluids can back up and cause a seroma.  That will look like a big water balloon under the skin.  They can get to the size of a tennis ball, but I have seen on about the size of a football.  It will just keep filling up and either burst on its own or have to be opened and drained or have another drain put in.

I had a drain after my tummy tuck that took over three weeks to resolve.  Most people don't have drains after weight loss surgery.  Are you measuring the amount that is coming out and recording that for you doctor to determine if it is still needed?

Your surgeon will decide if it is still needed.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Awillis
on 9/1/14 11:16 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

Yes emptying and measuring each day.  I know it is useful just did not know what to expect.  I would rather have this yucky stuff out of me.  Can't even imagine just sitting inside of me.  So I guess time will tell.  Thanks for your input.  I feel more relaxed now.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics