When Does Normal Start?

iHeartTeas
on 8/29/14 11:22 pm

I just had RNY on 8/22/14 so I am just over a week out of surgery.  I am healing pretty well so everyone says. I have developed a muscle pull in my left lower quadrant near my hip and just below where the drain was.  Other than that the other incisions bother me a little.  I have been having trouble getting in protein and water but slowly gaining momentum regarding that.  However, mentally I am pretty down.  I want normal back. I want my energy and positive attitude back.  I want desires to do the things I love.  I have been losing a lot of weight, roughly 2lbs a day. To me that feels like a lot and can't imagine that is safe.  The logic I am dealing with is of course I'll lose weight if I am starving myself.  This can't be good for me can it?  I keep wondering if I can go back in time and decide not to do this.  I wasn't healthy but I was happy.  Maybe what I am feeling is normal but I don't know.  Was this too exterme for me to lose weight?

I just want the old happy me back!!!

Patm
on 8/30/14 12:33 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Many people feel like you do just after surgery. You just has a major surgery and need time to heal. Your weight loss will slow down. Enjoy it while you can.

As you heal your energy will come back. I have tons  more energy now than before when I was carrying around 145 extra lbs.

Make sure you get in as much protein as you can plus your vitamins and you will be fine

BlackRoseRNY
on 8/30/14 12:44 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

You are really early out from surgery.I started feeling myself after the first month. I just kept consistent with my vitamins, protein, and fluids. The weight loss will slow down eventually and you will hit some stalls (grrr). Never regret your decision for weight loss surgery, you did it for your health and whatever else that is important to you. It may not be the "normal" you felt before surgery but your body will stabilize eventually. Stay encouraged and enjoy the ride! Oh!  And remember to ALWAYS fit in some form of exercise, this will expedite recovery and ensure lifelong fitness! 

tdbull
on 8/30/14 1:27 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Many of us feel exactly like you do. I felt regret and cried almost every day asking myself why I did this. When I reached the 1 month mark, it was like a complete transformation. I felt great, was eating solid foods, getting in my water and protein, and actually felt normal again. I did have some complications which delayed my recovery, but I was able to deal with these delays better too. Give yourself time to heal. Follow your surgeons plan so you are taking in adequate liquids and protein. You'll feel great very soon. And welcome to the Losers a Bench and enjoy this rapid weight loss!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

iloveravens
on 8/30/14 2:02 am
RNY on 08/13/14

This is so normal!  I, too, had buyer's remorse for the first week or so after being discharged.  It got better - almost overnight.  You'll start to see yourself shrinking and start to feel lighter almost immediately.  Hang in there!! 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/30/14 2:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My friend, your feelings are entirely normal.  You are NOT starving to death -- and enjoy the rapid loss while you can.  This is the beginning of your honeymoon period.  I swear to you, you will start to feel better -- right now you are recovering from major surgery, the depression of anesthetic, and pain pills.  I swear, your NEW normal will be so much more than you can even imagine.  BE POSITIVE.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NoDaybut2Day
on 8/30/14 3:00 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

Hang in there!  It seems absolutely ludicrous to say but I didn't really have an idea about WLS being major surgery before my RNY.  I guess I only thought of open-heart or brain surgery as something that one needed time to recover from.  What silliness!  You're stomach is swollen, which makes even drinking liquid not easy and when your life patterns are changed so drastically and quickly it's bound to be disorienting!  It took me a week before I felt like I understood what was happening and three more weeks before I felt like me again.  I'm soooo happy I did it!!!! But, I wasn't early on either.  You will be yourself again!  Try to find peace in being in the middle of a transformative journey and take it one day at a time.

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

iHeartTeas
on 8/30/14 3:20 am

Thank you all for being so nice to me. You have no idea how much it means to me just knowing that I am "normal."  Honestly I think getting to the normal eating phase will help too.  I feel so outside my normal self that I'm very much looking forward to the future.

nonsenseprecious
on 8/30/14 4:52 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I had my surgery almost exactly a week before you had yours, and I'm still trying to feel normal! However, I feel about a million times better than I did a week ago: I'm much less emotional, I'm nowhere near as sore, and I think I have a much better grip on what I'm supposed to be doing. I still get pretty tired, but that's manageable. Give yourself some time. :)

scooby112
on 8/30/14 8:17 am

I too felt much the same. I feel so much better being about a month out. There are still struggles and I don't feel 100%, but man, do I feel so much better than I did a week out.  Hang in there - I do promise it gets better. And remember - YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We all have your back and know how you're feeling. It does get better! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics