Juicer

Showbiz7757
on 9/1/14 12:33 am

I am think about getting a juicer to make low cal, high protein, high fiber drinks. Does anyone else do this? What kind of juicer? Any good recipe ideas? 

I need fiber help!

HarvestMoon1974
on 9/1/14 12:42 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I have a juicer and a Nutribullet, and I highly recommend the Nutribullet over the juicer. It uses the entire fruit, so you get the fiber and other nutrients that are lost during the juicing process. Juices are mainly empty calories, but the smoothies you can make with the nutribullet are much healthier, and actually filling. You can add your protein powder, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc, plus nuts or seeds, for an extra nutritional boost. I love mine, and my kids do too.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/14 1:00 am - OH

What types of food are you planning to "juice" that are low calorie, high protein, and high fiber?  Are you planning to use protein powder to get the protein?

I ask only because a couple of people who have come here in the past "bought into" a TV sales pitch about various health benefits of juicing, but they didn't consider that fruits (and most vegetables) have no protein and are often high in carbs OR that juicing goes against the exhortation that most RNY surgeons have to avoid drinking calories. 

You can still get the fiber benefit of fruits and veggies if you eat them in their natural state, and if you eat them you will get the benefit of physical fullness that you won't get from juice (which runs right out of your pouch).

It really isn't a particularly good choice for RNYers.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 3:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well said.  I'd add that it's not a particularly good choice for pretty much anyone!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SkinnyScientist
on 9/1/14 9:48 am

What she said!  Juicing isn't going to fill you up as it just drips through the stoma quickly.

As a green smoothie lover, I had to make piece with myself that I would not be eating GS or juicing after I had RNY.

The nature of juices, green smoothies and the surgery make them pretty incompatible. You can juice/do smoothies, but you will not be satisfied for the required 5 hours..

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

chulbert
on 9/1/14 10:36 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

In defense of vegetables, they all have protein.  They may not be high protein foods but it certainly adds up throughout the day.  For example, a serving of broccoli and a serving of spinach would total 6 g of protein.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/2/14 12:14 am - OH

Perhaps I am mistaken, but to get that much protein, those would have to be very large "servings" of the veggies.  According to the quick reference guide I got way back when from my surgeon, a full cup of broccoli (which is a lot of broccoli for a RNYer) is only 2.5g of protein and a cup of spinach is only 1g.

chulbert
on 9/2/14 12:58 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Those are standard 100 g servings.  Whether that's "a lot" to eat alone, or with other food, varies by person.

My point is simply that vegetables are good for you and a diet rich in them has more protein than a lot of people might realize.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/2/14 2:45 am - OH

Point taken.  

According to a couple of Google searches, 100g of broccoli would be about a cup and a half (nothing like mixing weight and volume measures, LOL), so your numbers do roughly match what my surgeon's sheet has.

When I saw the cup-sized "servings" on my surgeon's reference sheet, I determined that the protein in amounts that I could actually eat were negligible. Not a chance that I am going to eat a cup (let alone a cup and a half) of broccoli, with or without any other food, but that might be very realistic for a post-op vegan or vegetarian.

Lora

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 3:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you juice, you'll be removing a lot of the fiber from the things you juice, so it's not really an optimal choice.  Not to mention, liquids go right through you, so you'll be getting a lot of calories with not a lot of satiety.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 143 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics