Surgery 8/28 -- harder than I expected.

joansch
on 9/2/14 2:05 am

Hi, everyone. I had my RNY on Aug 28. It was a very rough couple of days in the hospital, especially Friday night. The first few days at home were difficult, but I'm feeling better each day, and today I'm doing pretty good. It goes up and down -- I feel OK for a while, then suddenly just seem to fall apart, with pain and extreme fatigue. I'm getting in my liquids and close to protein -- luckily I still like the protein shakes I have on hand, and chicken broth is going down well. I keep walking around the house -- my hubby says I'm like a shark circling. Although I'm doing better, I can't imagine how some people went back to work after a week. I have the hardest time transitioning from one position to another. But, it is getting better and I'm looking forward to moving to pureed food the end of the week.

Thanks -- I'm glad you're all here.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Harpo2332
on 9/2/14 2:39 am

First, congratualtions!!!!Thank you for sharing, Joan...my surgery is next week.  I hope things get easier for you as time goes on.  GOOD LUCK with your new journey!!!

Nancy

Roxanne915
on 9/2/14 3:05 am
Revision on 08/20/14

Hi Joan,  I just had my revision surgery from lapband to RNY on Aug. 20.  The first two days afterwards I was second-guessing my decision, but each day I felt a little better than the day before.  Today is my first day back to work and I feel fine.  Congrats on your surgery and you will do just fine too!

joansch
on 9/2/14 5:42 am

I spent a LOT of time in the hospital the day after surgery questioning my sanity in doing this. :)

Joan, Annapolis, MD

vizsla_luver
on 9/2/14 6:13 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

I think we all did

Orientation: Sept 9/13 ~ Social Work Initial Dec 9/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner Dec 16/14 ~ Nutrition Class Jan 20/14 ~ Nutrition Assessment May 2/14 ~ Psychology Assessment May 2/14~ Surgeon Meet: July 25/14 ~ Pre-Admin: July 31/14 ~ OptiFast: Aug 5/14 (2wk) ~ Surgery: Aug 19/14

JAMStribe
on 9/3/14 6:55 am

Absolutely know that I had buyers remorse for probably 4 months.

Loveymae
on 9/2/14 3:46 am

Hi Joan, glad you took the plunge to a more healthy life! The first few weeks are the hardest but as you are learning, each day will get easier!  Take care and hang in there!

Lovey

SW: 307    

Awillis
on 9/2/14 4:16 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

Hi Joan, I too had surgery on the 28th, a revision from VBG to RNY that took 3 1/2 hrs due to so much scar tissue.  I was sent home with a drain.  I did go home surprisingly enough on Friday.  That day is kinda a blur.  My daughter was with me.  So far I am doing ok, pain in left shoulder and upper back but very controllable. Also getting up and down is fun but manageable.  Taking my first shower felt awesome.  I sip on Nectar Orange Fuzzy all day, I make a tumbler size and keep with me at all times.  I have tried yogurt, pudding, popsicles and yellow.  It is just so hard to know when full so I probably stop early.  I am laughing about the shark circling statement by your husband, as that is how I see myself. No way could I go back to work this week.  I have cut back on my pain meds as I want to be able to drive soon so I can at least get out of the four walls closing in on me feeling. Also had my first poop today so know all is working there.  I have another week on liquids to look forward too, lol. My doc does not allow pureed until third week which is when I have planned to go back to work (but that date is negotiable). My future dream is no fat refried beans and cheese.  Glad to here you really are doing well!  Don't be a hero if you need pain meds take them, they will help you ambulate better.

joansch
on 9/2/14 5:27 am

Thanks -- I am very much looking forward to my first poop. Took Milk of Magnesia (advised by my doc) this morning and STILL waiting for it to kick in. I've been sipping water and circling the house almost constantly.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

robinreinhardt
on 9/2/14 5:49 am

Hi Joan,

So good to hear you are doing better. I'm pretty nervous too. My potential surgery will be towards the end of the year. I'm having a RNY as well. Keep us posted on your progress.

Robin

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?