Please help, dehydration.

Louy
on 9/5/14 9:04 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

Hi everyone I need a bit of help. I spent last night in hospital, I was extremely dehydrated. My local doctor had discovered that on Wednesday. I was very surprised as I drink water all day, everyday. 2 to 3 litres. I told her I might need a drip, she laughed it off and just told me to go home and drink water.

I tryed for 2 days to hydrate myself but last night I ended up in hospital. After I had the fluids I felt like a million dollars but now I'm starting to feel weak again. Is it possible this could be an on going problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Also I went to the hospital I had my surgery done as my local hospitals don't seem to know what gastric bypass is. Iv been to them before for other problem so I had a friend drive me the 90 mins to the city & $300 later just to walk in the door.

Mmmmm they kept referring to my surgery as lap band, I had to correct them about 10 times, there refused to call my Sergeant or another gastric sergeant. And pretty much laughed off my request for fluid as the local doctor did until finally they realised I had had rny not lap band and checked my blood. I was balling, no one would listen to me. As its the weekend I still haven't got in touch with my sergeant. Feeling stressed. It's not even summer yet.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/14 9:14 pm, edited 9/5/14 9:15 pm

You may be low on electrolytes: salt, potassium, magnesium.....etc.  I would try salty drinks - mineral rich bone broth (google it), vegetable or chicken or beef stock, even dill pickle juice. 

With not enough salt and minerals my body can't retain enough water so I do ger dehydrated not because I did not drink enough, but because I either don't get enough sodium and minerals, or even drink too much plain water. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 9/5/14 10:06 pm - OH

If you're dehydrated and just need fluids, I don't think it really matters if the ER knows much about RNY or not.  It's not hard to diagnose dehydration and it's diagnosed and treated the same way whether one has had RNY, lap band or no WLS at all.

I'm not sure why you'd be dehydrated if you drink that much water every day, though.  I'd definitely talk to your doctor about that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

15yearsRou-y-enY
on 9/6/14 7:28 am

Hi   I had trouble with getting enough water too.  I ended up in the hospital about a year after the surgery.  I was dehydrated but also had gotten somewaht anemic.

I have been post op for almost 15 years. I've got careless and gained about 25 pounds now.  Never gained back the whole 100 plus that I was over weight before.  However I find it is difficult to get enough water. Also I had several UTIs for same reason.

I had the surgery In California.  Now I live in the Midwest and find not all doctors understand how we are permanently affected.

lucky2brh-yahoo.com
on 9/7/14 4:18 pm - Wilmington, NC
RNY on 07/01/14

I'm 10 weeks out and I just spent 2 nights in the hospital for dehydration also.  I thought I drank enough fluids too; but they just pumped me full of potassium and magnesium in saline for the entire stay. I feel great now too, and am thinking now that this could happen many times over.  If following the 30 30 30 rule, three times a day, how the heck can you possibly drink 64oz in the time you have left in between????  I have to sleep sometime.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics