Difficulty starting pureed foods? And/or morning pills?

joansch
on 9/6/14 2:21 am

Hi, everyone. I'm just starting my pureed food phase (surgery on 8/28). Up until now I haven't had a problem with liquids or getting in the amount of protein or with taking meds. Yesterday (first on pureed food), I had several tablespoons of yogurt then took my morning pills. I waited 30 minutes then I had a scrambled egg for breakfast. I ate it very slowly -- took 20 minutes to eat one egg. Shortly after having the egg I started feeling "stopped up" with lots of gurgling noises and some gas pains in my upper chest. It was even difficult to sip water without all kinds of strange noises and sensations. I walked up and down the street and then rested. Several house later I had a protein shake, which I again had to sip SUPER slowly, and again with the pressure and gurgling noises. I walked again and then took a nap. Once I woke up, I felt fine, and ate soup and yogurt for supper with no problems.

This morning, I scrambled an egg and took even longer to eat it. I waited 30 minutes then took my morning pills. Immediately one of them felt stuck and all the gurgling started again. I sipped some water and all of a sudden coughed and all the water and the one large capsule shot out of me like it had been fired from a gun. I made it to the sink and the rest of the water came up (but not the other pill). I've been sipping water since, but it's going very slowly and I'm still getting gurgling and pressure.

I've been taking these same pills every morning since my surgery with absolutely no problems -- until yesterday. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

poet_kelly
on 9/6/14 3:12 am - OH

Wait another week or two to try eggs again.  Try something else instead.  How do you do with yogurt?  Or unsweetened applesauce?  Or refried beans?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

joansch
on 9/6/14 3:20 am

Yogurt has been fine. I haven't tried applesauce, but have some refried beans I'm planning on trying. I will give the eggs a rest for a while.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

poet_kelly
on 9/6/14 3:23 am - OH

If you find you have the same problem with many other foods, then I'd call your doc.  Otherwise, sometimes eggs just don't work well early out for some people.  I don't know why.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/6/14 4:47 am

It took me 3 months before I could eat an egg and keep it down.  Give it time. Cottage cheese,yogurt, etc were much easier to keep down. Large pills or even capsules have me trouble for at least 3years. I still have issues with large pills. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

joansch
on 9/6/14 5:05 am

I made some crab salad for lunch, pulverized it to baby food consistency and had that. Went down perfectly and was just about the best thing I've tasted in my life. :)  I will hold off on the eggs and try again later.

Thanks!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

majphatch
on 9/6/14 6:57 am - Roanoke, VA

I had trouble with eggs the first week of soft/mushy...held off till the 2nd week and its better.  I also eat mashed potatoes with protein powder added. Good luck:)

scooby112
on 9/6/14 9:59 am

You're not alone - almost exactly the same thing happened to me. Scared the heck out of me when the pill and all the water came right back up. Especially scary when it happened on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. 

Thankfully, it has only happened twice and I can usually tell now when the pill just won't go down. I don't know what it is about it, but there comes a time when I know I have to wait a bit before I take them. I don't know why (plan on asking the doc when I see her in two weeks). Scrambled eggs do not work for me, but fried eggs do. 

If it's one thing I've learned about this surgery is that things are just wacky. I hope all is well with you and things go down smoother from here on out! :)

Changes14
on 9/6/14 12:05 pm

I had surgery on August 11th 2014 and I have tried a scrambled egg two different times and both times got sick with them.  I will not be eating them for quite some time because it is painful to get sick!  I do well with refried beans and lowfat cottage cheese.  Good Luck!

Changes14
on 9/6/14 12:05 pm

I had surgery on August 11th 2014 and I have tried a scrambled egg two different times and both times got sick with them.  I will not be eating them for quite some time because it is painful to get sick!  I do well with refried beans and lowfat cottage cheese.  Good Luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics