A couple questions

browneyes65
on 9/9/14 3:44 pm - IN

I never had a problem with bleeding gums before surgery 8 months ago but after I have not sure why, I take Iron 65mg 325mg ferrous Sulfate and 500mg Vitamin C  at nighttime. Is there anything I can do, my teeth were cleaned before surgery.

My next question I had my period like clockwork before surgery and after 7 months I got it twice in one month but only lasted 3 days each time. Missed it again in Aug. Can having surgery make me go into menopause?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/14 4:15 pm - OH

Have you had your vitamin K level checked recently?  

Surgery cannot cause you to go into menopause, but various hormone-related issues have been linked to the release of hormones from the fat as you lose.  Normally those things are most noticeable the first few months post-op though.  You may be in peri-menopause and just having very irregular periods (which might have been upcoming even without the surgery).  

If it really matters to you, you can see your OB/GYN and get some bloodwork done.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/9/14 11:26 pm - OH

You can get your iron, vitamin C and vitamin K levels checked, if they haven't been checked lately.  And if those are OK, then I'd see your dentist about the gums.

My period was irregular for about a year after my RNY, then it got real regular again.  But that's something to talk to your PCP or GYN about if it's worrying you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 9/10/14 2:06 am - IN

I see my Dr tomorrow so I will ask. Thanks

SkinnyScientist
on 9/10/14 1:15 am

Do You have PCOS?  For the first few months after surgery, I was getting a light period every week.

At month 5-on,it is normal again.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

browneyes65
on 9/10/14 2:04 am - IN

I don't think so, I have only got 2 - 3 day periods in 8 months and have not spotted at all.

Katie_Kat
on 9/10/14 2:54 am
RNY on 06/10/13

Hello, I am new to the site but I spotted your post, if you are nearing the age of menapause, you could be in peri menapause, then your periods will be few, I went 6 months, then had one, then I went 8 months and had one, finally  is  over 1 year , so I guess that means I am done and I think that is called "in menapause'      

:)

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views