Lucky, I Hope?

iHeartTeas
on 9/10/14 2:07 am

Just a quick question about dumping.  I know what dumping is so that isn't what I am curious about.  What I'd like to know is if there is a chance that I am one of the lucky ones that may not have an issue with dumping.  I haven't had a ton of sugar but there are items I have had that contain sugar and I haven't had any issues.  I had a cup of applesauce yesterday and thought for sure I would have a reaction but nothing.

Is it too soon to know since I just had surgery on 8/22?

Is it possible I haven't had enough sugar to trigger a reaction?

Thanks in advance :)

poet_kelly
on 9/10/14 2:32 am - OH

It's quite possible you haven't had enough sugar to  cause dumping yet. 

Why did you eat a cup of applesauce if you thought for sure you'd dump on it?  Did you want to dump?

It doesn't surprise me that you didn't dump on it because many people don't dump on fruit (unless it had added sugar), but I just don't understand when people post about something they ate and thought for sure they'd dump but didn't.  I don't eat things I think for sure I'll dump on, because I don't want to dump.  I only eat things I think I won't dump on.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

iHeartTeas
on 9/10/14 2:39 am

I didn't know if I would. This was the only way I would have known if I needed to avoid eating applesauce. It wasn't because I wanted to.  I am glad I didn't.

Jenn S.
on 9/10/14 2:33 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Only 30% of people are dumpers.  That gives you a pretty good chance of not dumping.  I have never dumped. I don't know if that means I never will, so I eat in a way to try and minimize the chances.  I don't know if we are lucky or just the norm since dumping affects only 30%.  I am happy though because I've heard dumping is miserable.

Laura in Texas
on 9/10/14 2:37 am

Do youself a favor and assume you dump. Do not test the waters.

A cup of applesause is a lot. Are you allowed that much on your plan? I think I was supposed to limit my intake to 1/2 a cup for the first few months. 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce has around 8 grams of sugar. Many of us are told to limit our intake to 6 grams per serving. I will say that natural sugars in milk, yogurt, and fruits affect me differently than refined sugar in sweets.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

iHeartTeas
on 9/10/14 2:41 am

Oops I didn't mean a cup as in a full measurable cup.  I meant one of those single serve cups. Sorry about the confusion.

tawbattle
on 9/10/14 3:29 am
RNY on 08/26/14

You very well may be. My cousin had rny over a year ago and said there's no food that makes her dump.  However, I wouldn't risk it this early after your surgery. Just my opinion......

By the way, how is your recovery going? My surgery was 2 weeks ago yesterday and so far so good.  33 pounds down since 8/12!

iHeartTeas
on 9/10/14 3:35 am

Doing great thanks for asking. Drinking can still be challenging but I'm getting better. I've lost 27lbs since 8/7/14 surgery was on 8/22. I've stalled a bit but back on the down turn.  Glad you are well.

tawbattle
on 9/10/14 3:55 am
RNY on 08/26/14

Good to hear. I started on pureed foods today and its a nice change from protein shakes. I'm still having trouble finding shakes that I like but I'll keep searching for one

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/10/14 6:00 am

I started dumping app 6-8 months post op... even now it i**** and miss.. but now - I will get RH even if I did not dump if I eat too many carbs..fruits - included..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics