anyone have trouble with meat?

Momma1991
on 9/15/14 9:34 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

I'm 15 months out and I'm still having issues with meats. Chicken, hamburger, pork, tuna, ect don't work with me no matter how well I chew them. It seems to get stuck and makes me sic****il I either throw it up or suffer badly till it passes. I can do bacon without problems.

Anyone have issues with meats? What can I do?

poet_kelly
on 9/15/14 9:42 am - OH

I've known a couple people that had trouble with most meat for a long time after their RNY.

What you can do, I guess, is just not eat meat.  You can try meat substitutes, like veggie burgers and soy crumbles (like fake ground beef made from soy), and see if those work better for you.  I realize it's not quite the same as real meat.  I've made chili from the fake ground beef, though, and served it to people that eat meat and they didn't realize it wasn't real meat.  A couple people didn't realize, anyway.

And of course there are lots of non-meat sources of protein.  I don't eat any meat and have no problem getting 80+ grams of protein a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

basilmk
on 9/15/14 11:02 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I'm eight months out and can't eat chicken or salmon.  I try them both from time to time but can tell after only a small bite.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

NYMom222
on 9/15/14 2:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am not as far out as you but yes having problems with Chicken and beef. Suggestions I've received has been to use the crockpot. Kind of shreds the meat and keeps it moist. It only somewhat works if I cut it the size of a pea and eat slowly. I am afraid to try tuna again because it got stuck... Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SHMILY
on 9/15/14 3:12 pm

I don't do well with meat either, it just sits heavy and I have decided to try and avoid it

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

SandieMc49
on 9/15/14 10:03 pm
On September 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM Pacific Time, Momma1991 wrote:

I'm 15 months out and I'm still having issues with meats. Chicken, hamburger, pork, tuna, ect don't work with me no matter how well I chew them. It seems to get stuck and makes me sic****il I either throw it up or suffer badly till it passes. I can do bacon without problems.

Anyone have issues with meats? What can I do?

I couldn't tolerate meat for the first two years.  Even today at 6 years out - I can't really tolerate pork chops, steaks and any "reheated" meats at all.  Hamburger in chili is awesome.  "Pulled pork and chicken" in the crock pot is usually okay - but not always.  Don't force it, but keep trying.

cptprkchp
on 9/15/14 11:21 pm

I am 7 years post op and I can't eat pork- gets stuck every time.  I have problems with chicken intermittently- not every time but enough to drive me crazy.  I can eat steak with no difficulty but hamburger can be touch and go.  I guess what to do really depends on how badly you want to eat these items.  I always proceed with caution when eating anything that might get stuck- chew, chew, chew, and eat very slowly so that the very second I might feel something I stop.  I have given up pork altogether. 

Is it possible that these things are too dry for you?  You can heat up broth and keep your finely cut meats in it.  I did that and it helped a lot early on.  If I think of anything else I will post.

Good luck to you!

Grim_Traveller
on 9/15/14 11:38 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The only problem I have with meat is I love it too much.

It is a bit counterintuitive, but steak goes down easier for most people than chicken or ground beef.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

selhard
on 9/16/14 1:28 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I'm like Grim_Traveller, meat has been one of my top choices for protein because of its' density.  Meat sits heavy--making me feel full longer than any other food.  I have infrequently experienced that harsh stuck feeling but found chewing a papaya enzyme tablet helps. (FYI:   I have been warned not to overuse papaya enzyme being told it has the possibility to thin the stoma lining)

Momma1991
on 9/16/14 1:30 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

Thank you everyone! I'm gonna try using broth and see if that makes it better

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 269 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?