Clothes size messing with my mind 80 pounds down and feel fatter???

Jen Lyn
on 9/16/14 12:07 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

I went to national stores and picked up the L and M.  I have not gained one pound ever and have lost more.  I had to buy a XL at Kmart, North Face, and Walmart.  I am trying to wrap my head around losing 80 pounds and still being a XL.  I feel fatter than when a 22W.  I am wearing mostly L clothes from department stores.  How many sizes did I drop? I thought it went 22, 20, 18, 16, 14 so 5 sizes in my mind. 2x, 1x/xl, L is three sizes.  It bugs me because I know I am eating more after 10 months and I have seen others regain. I want to get down and get rid of the bigger clothes so not tempted.  I can't fail. 

lburrell
on 9/16/14 12:52 pm

The sizing inconsistency is an industry problem...not a problem with you...so don't let it psych you out.  I have read many articles addressing the issue and it often relates back to marketing to women's insecurities and the fashion industry's definition of women beauty. Often..the more expensive clothing lines will label their sizes lower...so it doesn't surprise me know that you can wear a M or L in clothes from the better stores. I am down from size 28 tops to 20/22 and had to buy a 3x in a shirt from Walmart that fits me like a 22 top from a dept store. I was wearing 3x from dept stores at size 28... So moral is...just like we don't want to become overly obsessed by the numbers on the scale...don't become obsessed or measure your success solely by the number on the tag. Congrats on being down 80!

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

SkinnyScientist
on 9/16/14 3:19 pm

HI! I wrote about this same issue about 2 weeks ago!  In Halston, I am a size 6, in Ralph Lauren an 8, and my wedding dress is a 12.

The issue is something called "vanity sizing."  It is a trick used by manufacturers to get people to spend money in their stores. For example, there a beautiful dress in store A-with a label that says 6.  The same dress is in store b with a label that says 12.  With all other variables being equal (i.e. the cost of the dress), I would buy the size 6 because I like that number better than 12.

Hope that helps

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 221 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?