Carbs

GodsChildII
on 9/17/14 2:46 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

What is your goal for the maximum carb intake for the day? My Greek yogurt alone has 15 and my Premier protein shake has 5 and that's just my breakfast! My Atkins Style Pasta bake for lunch had 10 (33 grams of protein) and my dinner low carb spaghetti  sauce with ground turkey and whole wheat spaghetti had 29! That's 60 grams of carbs and with my two snacks I was up to almost 80 but I got in 100 grams of protein.

what is to much carbs for the day?

The Salty Hag
on 9/17/14 3:19 am, edited 9/17/14 3:21 am
RNY on 05/20/13

You're roughly 6 weeks out? At that time frame, I was just starting back on solids. I kept carbs below 20 g. I worried more about sugar grams than carbs, but still watched my carb intake.

The yogurt I buy only has 9 g of carbs and 7 g of sugars. I use Dannon Light and Fit Greek.

ETA: At 15 months out, I still eat protein first, so my carbs usually stay under 30 g a day, unless I splurge and have a little bit ( 1/4th of a pita pocket ) of whole grain pita bread or pasta-and even then I won't eat more than 1/4 cup of pasta.

Keep in mind that there are many different types of post-op food plans. I am allowed whole wheat pasta and small amounts of whole grain breads, but limit them as much as possible. I think it just makes it easier to make my daily protein goals and makes for easier weight loss.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

GodsChildII
on 9/17/14 3:45 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

It's impossible to avoid carbs all together but I know that I am taking in to many. My yogurt is Chobani Simply 100 Greek yogurt 15 carbs, 6 grams sugar and 12 grams of protein. My daily goal is to stay below 15 sugar grams.

aesposito
on 9/17/14 3:39 am

I laid off carbs for the entire first year after surgery.  I don't think I passed 30 grams a day.  Even now I try to stay under 100 unless I know I am going to ride my bike or hike or something that day!  I stayed (and stay) far away from pasta, even whole what... unless it's a special occasion or a fun new restaurant or something.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

GodsChildII
on 9/17/14 3:50 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

How did you eat a balanced meal with vegetables and avoid carbs all together? If I follow the sample eating plan from my nut it has oatmeal, squash, sweet potato, green beans on there all of those things have carbs. 

aesposito
on 9/17/14 11:44 pm

I absolutely did not eat ANY oatmeal, potatoes (sweet, white or otherwise) or other grains/starches the first year except a bite here and there.  And yes, other veggies have carbs, but not tons, and if you are only eating small portions of them, it shouldn't raise your carb count significantly.  I did not "avoid carbs all together", certainly...

To be honest, if you are eating a protein-forward diet, the idea of "balanced" goes out the window for a while anyway... but that is up to you... I am not your doctor or nutritionist, I can only tell you what worked for me, and made the most logical sense in my situation.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Jenn S.
on 9/17/14 3:49 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Right now I am only allowed carbs from veggies, fruits and dairy.  I am not allowed to eat any breads, rice or pasta until I lose 75% of my excess weight.  I would  get rid of the grains for now and that will help your carb count stay lower.  

GodsChildII
on 9/17/14 3:51 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

That makes complete sense. How many carbs are you taking in a day from veggies, fruits and dairy? 

Jenn S.
on 9/17/14 3:54 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I usually stay under 30 grams of carbs a day. 

sshe585027
on 9/17/14 7:21 am

You know, everyone's nutritionist seems to say something different. I am 4 weeks post op and am starting my soft food phase.  I was told to eat 100 grams protein and 100 grams carbs. Even the sample diet they gave me has baked potatoes, toast, pita bread, etc... on it.   I am having trouble getting 100 grams of protein in, but 100 carb grams is no problem. Huh, imagine that. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 382 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views
Forum Search Error & 404