What Medication Options for Osteoarthritis??

Karen H.
on 9/21/14 6:09 am
VSG on 12/08/14

If you have had the RNY and have moderate osteoarthritis, what do you do for the joint pain? And, does it really help? Thanks!!

poet_kelly
on 9/21/14 6:17 am - OH

I used to do Tramadol.  Now i have trouble getting a doctor to prescribe any pain meds.  So I do Tylenol and a heating pad. And no, it doesn't help very much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

basilmk
on 9/21/14 10:21 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I take Tramadol with a Tylenol. It helps enough that some days I know I need to take another in the afternoon.

I miss my Mobic but wouldn't trade my new life for all the Mobic in the world.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/21/14 1:39 pm - OH

Before I had my knees replaced last year, I was taking Tramadol every day and Vicodin some days for the pain.  Tramadol is now a Schedule 2 drug, so some doctors are reluctant to prescribe it.  

Unfortunately, Tylenol rarely does anything for arthritis pain.  I seriously underestimated how difficult it would be to live without NSAIDs with arthritis (I still have arthritis in several fingers and in my lower back).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Gwen7145
on 2/4/16 11:39 am

I have osteoarthritis in my hips and spine and was wondering the same thing. I know weight plays a part in my arthritis which is why I want the rny, but the scary part for me is not being able to take anything for the pain. The thought of my weight causing my arthritis to get worse scares me even more.

lking
on 2/4/16 3:33 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I have Voltaren Gel for my osteoarthritis.  It's a NSAID but since it's applied topically to affected area(s) it's okay to use...won't affect the pouch.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics