Papaya Enzyme?

sshe585027
on 9/21/14 3:38 am

Does anyone use papaya enzyme for digestion?  I know someone who had RNY surgery, and whom happens to be a nurse, and she swears by it. She is now several years out and really recommends it. So I was just wondering what everyone thought?

HLen
on 9/21/14 3:48 am
RNY on 07/11/14

I use it occasionally.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

SnowAngel72
on 9/21/14 4:39 am
RNY on 08/06/13

I use it.  I chew two a night just to be on the safe side. 

Chilipepper
on 9/21/14 5:02 am, edited 9/21/14 5:03 am

Papaya Enzyme is what they use to make meat tenderizer. You are eating it for digestion.  Not good. It only works on proteins like meat. That is why they use it to tenderize meats. It's doing the same to your pouch. 

If you have something stuck like a piece of meat or chicken and it won't pass. This would be a LAST resort. Chew your food good and you won't need it. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/21/14 1:43 pm - OH

This.  ^^^

If you chew your food properly you will never need it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rocky513
on 9/21/14 7:19 am - WI

My surgeon advised me to stay away from papaya enzyme.  Like Chilipepper said, it is the same ingredient used in meat tenderizer.  I was told that it can cause real issues in with your new pouch if it is used regularly especially if you are prone to getting ulcers. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

dragonlove
on 9/21/14 4:59 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

My family has used this for decades instead of any sort of antacid.  We don't have any ulcer issues at all, so apparently none of us are prone to them. They are much milder and taste much more than normal antacids to me. When I was a child, I'd snag 20-30 out of the bottle as a treat because they are so yummy.  I've never, ever heard anything about them causing issues with stomachs.  I'd be interested to have a reference to the articles or studies being quoted.  I wouldn't imagine they would cause any more issues than simply eating the fruits would.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Chilipepper
on 9/22/14 9:03 am

Did your entire family have gastric bypass while you were all snacking on papaya enzyme?  You as a post op are very suseptable to ulcers. 

They make Adolph's meat tenderizer from papaya enzyme. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NYMom222
on 9/22/14 1:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I take a chewable probiotic to help keep my good flora for my intestines in order. :) Not sure if you are talking about taking it all the time, or 'as needed'. I had heard it was good if you got food stuck, as well as Pineapple juice because it also has enzymes in it. I had a bad 'stuck' right after I began switching to real food, was in a rush and food was too dry. I suffered for 2 hours, it wasn't moving then I remembered the pineapple juice. I took a can of canned pineapple I  opened it up, and drank some juice from it. Well 20 minutes later I threw up the meat. What a relief. Taking regularly? I don't know.  for indigestion, it might be good to have around. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 292 views