Couple questions

pghgirl
on 9/25/14 3:29 pm

Hi guys, I was just wanting to ask two questions. 

After surgery, does your "I'm full" feeling change?  To be more specific, do you feel full longer after eating now that you've had surgery verses before surgery? For my second question, how do you exercise in the colder winter months without going to a gym? My surgery will most likely be taking place in the cold months so what are some good exercises that I could do at home and get good results? 

Thanks for for all your answers. :)

SkinnyScientist
on 9/25/14 3:45 pm

Yes my "I'm full feeling has changed"  I feel physical restriction (what I really didnt feel before) after surgery. However, the emotional/contented/satisfied/warm fuzzies I felt pre-surgery when "full" (i.e. probably stuffed) are gone.

Sometimes, after surgery, my "I'm full" feeling is being bored with eating. Yep. It is not the tasty kick it used to be pre-op.

As far as exercise, take up skating!!! And shoveling snow.  

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

karenp8
on 9/25/14 8:18 pm - Brighton, IL

Yes my full feeling has changed after surgery. It is now more a sensation of tightness up high where the pouch is. I had to be careful to eat slowly and pay attention because one bite more means I will be miserable. I have never ever gone to a gym for exercise and do exercise everyday. I picked up a treadmill,healthrider and bike at yard sales for next to nothing and set them up in the basement. I also have a TV to watch while working out. I also have a drawer full of different DVDs that I can swap in and out for variety. The key is finding something you enjoy and will do!

poet_kelly
on 9/25/14 8:38 pm - OH

I feel full on less food but I don't feel full longer, no.  Actually, I think I felt full longer before surgery, when I could eat huge amounts.

I don't exercise mu*****old weather.  The exercise I do is walking my dog, and I do walk him in winter, of course, just not nearly as much as in nice weather.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/25/14 8:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

For the first couple of months after surgery, you won't have any full feeling. Your nerves will have been cut, and you'll still be healing. DO NOT rely on feeling full to tell you when to stop eating. It is imperative to measure your food according to your surgeon's guidelines. If you eat too much before you are healed, you could do serious damage. Follow the rules, and you'll be fine. 

After that, you will feel full again. But it depends on what you eat. If you eat crackers, you could probably eat them all day without feeling full. This is part of the reason we are told to eat protein first. The most satisfied and full I feel is after eating a steak. I'm usually not hungry again for four hours. With less dense food, I feel hungry again sooner. If you drink while you eat, or right after, you won't feel full either, and will eat more.

I live up north too, and I don't go to a gym. I have a recumbent bike, and I walk a lot.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Trouble1391011
on 9/26/14 12:03 am

So if you eat lighter food and don't feel full longer, do you feel hungry? Like stomach rumbling hungry, or do you just feel nothing, like neither full nor hungry?

poet_kelly
on 9/26/14 12:53 am - OH

Yeah, I feel hungry.  I usually eat about every three hours.  Which works to keep my blood sugar stable, at least most of the time.

But I do eat small amounts.  One meal/snack might be between 100 to 300 calories.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/26/14 1:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hunger goes away for most people after surgery for maybe 6 to 9 months. But after that, yeah, if you eat slider foods, you will feel hungry.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Trouble1391011
on 9/26/14 2:45 am

Oh ok.  That makes sense.  Right now I am on the clear liquid pre-op diet and I am starving.. I can't imagine not being hungry! And I am not a big eater anyway... but not being able to eat anything sucks..

carimiller9173
on 9/25/14 11:12 pm - Wilmington, DE

Good morning, I just wanted to chime in on the exercise front as I have not had my RNY yet... You Tube has workout videos, most cable stations that have on demand do also.  Just find something you like and go for it.  Best wishes.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404