Could my blood pressure really prevent me from surgery?

mdaggett
on 9/25/14 11:34 pm
RNY on 11/19/14

Going to my family doctor today.  She is the missing link in having my paper work submitted to the insurance.  I called her and asked her if she was going to do it and she stated that she would only do it after my blood pressure normalized.  SO, now I am nervous which will probably raise my blood pressure.  I suppose I have to give this to God because it is out of my control.    Thank you God for watching over me today......

Patm
on 9/26/14 12:10 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

While waiting to see the doctor do some deep breathing and try to relax. I do some simple meditation. It seems to help

poet_kelly
on 9/26/14 12:54 am - OH

If it is high enough or low enough to make surgery dangerous for you, sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 9/26/14 1:16 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You should ask her what she considers normalized for surgery. Having a perfect 120/80 isn't necessary. Usually they are looking for the bottom number to be 90 or below. This is not medical advice but just sharing something that helped me with my Blood Pressure. I read (from Dr. Hyman and others) that a magnesium deficiency can exacerbate High Blood Pressure. So I tried it. The first type I tried didn't seem to help, but then I bought a bottle of KAL brand Magnesium Gliconate 400 at the Vitamin Shoppe and it brought it down like 20 points. 400 is two tabs, so I only take one tab before bed. I continued it right up until my surgery, as it is now part of my medicine routine. If you don't have a magnesium deficiency it is one of those vitamins that you are just going to urinate out. It has helped 2 of my friends as well. They can test magnesium levels in your blood but supposedly it is not a very accurate assessment. I read up on the NIH webpage on magnesium as well and possible toxic levels are way higher than 2 or 4 hundred milligrams. As you can see I am a researcher. LOL.

Another thing is get to the appointment early, so you are not rushing, and have a chance to sit. You really should be sitting for 5 minutes before they take it, sitting in a chair with your feet on the ground, your arm should be supported and at heart level, and using the proper size cuff. Proper size cuff is really important. You don't know how many times an aide tried to squeeze my arm into a cuff just because the velcro would fasten... doesn't mean it's the right size. One of my pet peeves...offices not using the right technique.

I've rambled on enough, if your B/P is higher than she likes, then she needs to help you get it down. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mdaggett
on 9/26/14 1:27 am
RNY on 11/19/14

Thanks everyone.  My bottom number was 103 at my last visit.  I am praying that it is better today.  I have been faithfully taking my medication, walking and watching my sodium.  I am crossing my fingers and trying to stay balanced and calm lol

NYMom222
on 9/26/14 1:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Good for you! Don't let this Doc steal your peace.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mdaggett
on 9/26/14 1:50 am
RNY on 11/19/14

Thank you and I wont.

Nola68
on 9/26/14 1:40 am

I am 2 months out.  When I went to the cardiologist my BP was 186/102, he upped the medication I was on to get through the surgery.  Since the surgery I have gone back to original dose and am off 1 other.  Good luck to you!

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

mdaggett
on 9/26/14 1:49 am
RNY on 11/19/14

That is awesome to hear.  :)  

Needanewbeginning
on 9/26/14 3:48 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Having high BP is a co-morbidity, your Dr should be sending this through regardless. Its up to the surgeon and anesthesiologist to decide if your able to have the surgery not your family Dr. Her roll is to submit the details and then step away and let the 'professionals' take over to assess you.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views