Got a surgery date! Pre-op liquid diet question.

Susanb2117
on 9/26/14 7:32 am

I finally got my surgery date!!!!  October 14th.  I have a question about the liquid diet.  I don't want to spend a bunch on the protien drinks.  I like the Protein Powder from Sams which is on my approved list.  Do you think I can make it just drinking one kind of protein powder or do I need to buy a bunch of different ones?  I have never just mixed it with water though, do you think premade protein drinks are better for this stage?  Any tips are appreciated.  Thanks!

1HealthyMomma
on 9/26/14 7:58 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Hi there, I have the same surgery date as you. I really love the premiere protein its premixed. I'm in Canada and here its $26 for 18 which I feel is a really good price. There is 30g of protein in each one. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Take Care

Lisa 

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Susanb2117
on 9/27/14 12:17 am

Thanks, I am going to pick some up at Sam's this weekend.  Good luck on your journey toward surgery!!!!  2 weeks on liquid does not even seem possible to me, but I see all the people who have done it and I am going to try my hardest :)

K P.
on 9/27/14 12:09 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Premier protein is my absolute favorite! I start each day with a chocolate shake!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

NYMom222
on 9/26/14 5:53 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Your tastes do change. Is it the Fit Frappe Coffee you are getting from Sam's? Not all of them carry it. That one is really good. Variety is the spice of life. I might get a vanilla or plain as well eventually. The vanilla you can add your own flavors, and the plain you can mix into things like cottage cheese, soup, etc to up the protein count. From these forums I found out about an unflavored protein powder called Genepro, I bought it off Amazon, but they have a website too. I like it because 1 TBSP= 30g protein. Most powders one serving is 1/4 cup. The smaller quantity makes it so much easier to mix in without effecting flavor and consistency. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Susanb2117
on 9/27/14 12:18 am

Thanks!  I had heard people talk about adding unflavored protien to food items but I couldn't figure out what they were talking about.  I will def. have to get some of the Genepro for when I am on the pureed stage and after. 

Bubbles314
on 9/27/14 2:39 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

hi

I'm on the liquid diet now.  I had a real rocky start.  I need to be on it for 3 weeks.  People on line here are very supportive, I needed that.  The Dr and Dietition told me I should find a couple protein drinks I like/tolerate.  One should mix with some kind of milk and the other water.  They said that my tastes might change after surgery and I shouldn't stock up just keep a few on hand.  But if you know what you liked pre-op you could go from there and make a change.  I like some of the Syntrax Nectar(Vitamin Shop) and some of the Unjury.   Some people on line have said that what they like pre-op is to sweet post-op.  This is just what I was told to the best of my recollection, you should follow your Dr orders, they all may be a little different.

I agree with you the vets are very helpful.  I like to see what they are doing, it gives me ideas for my journey to come.  I wish you luck with the liquid diet and of course your WLS.  We'll get through this and I'll see you on the loser's bench

ljbobcat
on 9/27/14 3:56 am - Canada

Thanks NYMOM222 for the tip about the Genepro.  I have been looking for an unflavored protein powder that packs a high protein punch.  I am ordering it here in Canada.

Really appreciate this tip!!!!   

Joan 

Member Services
on 9/27/14 3:59 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

Regards,

Member Services Team

helionoftroy
on 9/27/14 8:31 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

I don't have my surgery date yet, keeping my fingers crossed that it will be soon, but I have been reading and researching a lot. I've gotten a little obsessed about a show called "Fat Doctor" on HULU.com It's a documentary series of two British bariatric doctors and the patients the operate on. It's a bit graphic, at first I had to turn my head when they showed the operation but I have gotten used to it and do fine watching. Anyway, I digress, the liquid diet those patients do to prepare their liver is a low fat milk diet with sugar free jello. I did notice that some would add a strawberry liquid to the milk. I'm guessing it's also sugar free. I love milk and when it comes time for me to be on the pre-op diet I plan to drink lots and lots of low fat milk to prepare. The doctors even talk about the appearance of the patients liver during surgery when they have to move it to get to the stomach. It's very interesting to watch. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 240 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?