Magic Combination?

iHeartTeas
on 9/29/14 11:28 pm

I'm still in the begin of my journey. I had surgery 8/22/14. I lost 12lbs pre-op and continued to lose post-op for about 10 days. After that I hit a brick wall (I've heard it's normal) it lasted over 2 weeks and now finally I have broken my stall and am only 5 lbs from the "Onelander" Club. A club I haven't been a member off since the late 90's.  

I know stalls are normal and eventually everyone gets past them but often wondered if there was anything I could do to either shorten or jump start my weight loss.  

Here is what I did...

1. Walked more (Haven't gotten clearance yet to be more aggressive than walking.)

2. Increasing protein intake (eating small protein snacks more frequently)

3. Increasing Fluid Intake (straigh****er still bothers me so I drink plain green tea which was approved by my doctor)

Feels as if as soon as I did that my body started to lose weight again.

Do you think this coincidence or just plain luck?

Thank you and sorry so long. 😄

Grim_Traveller
on 9/29/14 11:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Coincidence. After two or three weeks of stalls, many people try something different, and the stall ends. It was going to end anyway, as long as you were still limiting calories.

But mixing things up isn't necessarily a bad thing. It tends to keep us aware, and interested. But in the end, as long as we are eating less than we burn, we'll lose, in spite of the stalls.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MyLady Heidi
on 9/30/14 12:16 am

Coincidence.  I would never do the small snacks.  Eat meals, snacking leads to more eating which leads to insufficient weight loss and eventually weight gain.  Walking is the best medicine for everything.  Walk all you can every day all the time, it will help everything.  And water is important, I love tea but I still drink plenty of plain water also.  I am nearly 10 years out and 8lbs below my ultimate goal.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/30/14 4:36 am - OH

Many people eat two or more "snacks" during the day and maintain their weight just fine. There is a huge difference between having a snack of potato chips in the mid afternoon just because you have the  munchies and in having a planned, protein-based snack to keep your blood sugar stable and your metabolism up.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/30/14 12:41 am - OH

Coincidence.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

iHeartTeas
on 9/30/14 12:45 am

Oh darn. I was really hoping it was my efforts. Oh well, I suppose at the very least I did try harder.  :)  Thanks for all your replies.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/30/14 4:46 am - OH

Although I agree with the others that it is just coincidence, and the stall was probably going to break anyway, BUT... All of the things you started doing are good things to do, anyway, in terms of long term success.  I strongly disagree with Heidi about "snacks". MANY people eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day and lose and maintain the weight just fine.  The smaller meals keep your metabolism up better than only eating three meals a day and it keeps your blood sugar more stable as well.

More exercise and more water is always good, too.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

iHeartTeas
on 9/30/14 7:38 am

Thanks so much.  As it is so far I can't get in the minimum in per sitting so breaking it with small meals or snacks just better helps me achieve the goals my doctor has set out for me. :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/30/14 8:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I wanted to add that while the "stall break" is coincidence -- your success is not.  It's due to you following plan and doing the hard work of weight loss.  You should be very proud of yourself!!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views