Need some reassuring words and some encouragement!

ckm82
on 10/1/14 3:05 pm
RNY on 03/17/14

Hello guys!

i know you guys see a lot of these posts, but I need some support. I'm a little over 6 months post op. I've lost 85lbs so far, but for the past 6-8 weeks I have been bouncing back and forth between 216 and 210. I've tried eating more protein, changing up my diet, cardio, wt lifting, and lowering my calories (my NUT said no more than 1200 cals/day) to no avail. Then, this last week I have been eating horribly! I just snack on crap and sweets all day. It's like my brain is just saying Eat Eat Eat!! I haven't felt this crazy eating feeling since after I tried the Atkins diet years ago. Doesn't it take  a 3600 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb? So, in theory let's say it's a bad eating day,and at the most I can eat about 1800 calories, I should still be losing 1 lb every 12 days based on the calorie amount it takes to maintain my current weight. It's not happening. I need some advice or a kick in the butt or something. I didn't want to go back to eating sweets all the time, but here I am again. How do I get back to the right place?

Thank you in advance!!

poet_kelly
on 10/1/14 3:34 pm - OH

Stalls are normal.  Long stalls are frustrating but they are normal and they happen.  It would be really, really unusual to stop losing at just six months post op.  Most people lose for at least a year, many longer than that.  You just have to stick to the plan.

Put the scale away.  Don't focus on your weight.  Focus on your plan, on eating enough protein and exercising and all that stuff.

The weight loss will come.  It will.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Gee
on 10/1/14 8:58 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Your weight loss has been great.  How did you do it?  By sticking to the plan.

Per your request:  

If you want to reach goal, you've got to get back on your plan and stick to it.  Is there such a thing as a "valid excuse" to go off plan?  Maybe some terrible episode in your life such as the death of a loved one, or being involved in a terrible accident - neither of which you mention.  We all have stressors in our life, and we must learn to deal with them -- otherwise, the pounds will return.

Consider yourself kicked in the butt.  Get back on track.  Plan you meals.  Measure and weigh what you eat/drink.  Journal your food in MyFitnessPal.  Does your hospital have support groups?  If so, start attending them.  Read, read, and read some more here on OH.  Read success posts and regain posts and stall posts.  Did you go through all the pre-op stages and surgery just to throw it all away?

Be strong - you can do this.   

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

gbsinsatx
on 10/1/14 11:55 pm - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page if interested. I detail my RNY experience there.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

HFA70
on 10/2/14 1:28 am

I agree with Kelly on this one.

Increase water intake, increase exercise by 10-15minutes/day, follow the plan and put away the scales.

I rarely give in to cravings, I will eat something with protein and typically it will satisfy me.It isn't always easy, but it has been worth it.

Good luck

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/2/14 4:28 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Sometimes a stall coincides with Diet fatigue.  I remember feeling a bit of burnout around the 6th or 7th month.  It's hard to be gung ho all the time and our diet may be a bit boring.  Then the scale doesn't budge and we are frustrated.  I would say that you need to stick to the plan - focus on NSV's and inches lost instead of the scale (hard I know!) and just keep plugging on.  You will get there if you stay on plan. It does get a bit easier at other points in the journey, but sometimes it is just what it is.  You can do it - you've done great so far!!!  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

dccyr
on 10/2/14 12:30 pm

I don't consider the food choices I make a diet. I am not on a diet.  I had weight loss surgery.  I eat differently now but not on a diet.  going on diets is what got me where I was before surgery.  

dragonlove
on 10/2/14 1:48 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Exactly!  I tell everyone I am NOT on a diet that this is a LIFE CHANGE and the permanent way I intend to eat for the rest of my life.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/2/14 6:16 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I was actually using the word Diet to describe what it is we actually eat since everyone eats differently.  I did not ( I feel ) use it in the sense that you are describing.  Getting caught up in terminology is not what this post was about.  Good for you if you've really made permanent changes in what you eat.  It is still possible that some of us experience burnout as the rapid weight loss phase fades into a slower paced loss.  FWIW - that's just my experience of course.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

dragonlove
on 10/2/14 1:52 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Keep up the earlier good work and get back on plan. You know you can do it because you've lost 85 pounds so far!!  Focus on that success and get your brain back on track.

Here's something I do when I start wanting something I know better about.... I tell myself that I'll let myself have some IF I eat a snack of good protein first and THEN I still want it.  90% of the time that works for me.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 91 views