What's on your menu today, RNYers?

AnnyBananny
on 10/1/14 10:02 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Good morning friends, I'm back from my Conference and thank goodness! I was so exhausted yesterday I ended up taking an accidental nap in the evening, but even with that I went to bed at 10:30 and slept all night.

A question for you all today (paraphrased from one of our Menu-ers): When you "fall off the wagon" these days, how do you get back on? What coping strategies do you use?

This is actually something I've been struggling with. Since my vacations I've been battling a lot of "cheating." A lot is a relative term, of course, but it feels like a lot to me. And when I say cheating I mean eating more of a certain thing than I planned, adding an extra snack in the evening when I am more likely than not just eating my boredom and/or stress, that sort of thing. I am thinking to myself this morning that I need to get my act together, buckle down, and just DO what I KNOW I need to do. We all have the info, but how do we make ourselves follow it? I don't have a good answer... I'll be watching for thoughts today!

Time since surgery: 6.5 months

B: L&F Greek Yogurt with almonds and Fiber One

S: Chike, coffee, almonds

L: Bento Box it is - deli ham, Babybel Light, crispy chocolate chickpeas

S: thinking of trying a Hungry Girl thing - mozzarella sticks (you use a string cheese, eggbeaters, and crumbs made with Fiber One) - but if I'm too lazy to make this, it'll be Fiber Gourmet Thinables and a Laughing Cow wedge

D: Flatout Pizza with turkey pepperoni

S: CoolWhip FroYo and SkinnyPop

TOTALS: Calories 998, Protein 89, Carbs 85, Fat 45

V/W: started

E: heading to the gym tonight

Make it a good one y'all!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/14 10:18 pm

Good morning. Anny I think posting and myfitnesspal helps me.I do make sure I plan a snack for night so it is on my menu for the day. I try to get rid of the triggers in my house.Like peanut butter and other crap I shouldn't be eating.I try to keep my carbs under 50. I will be a year out in 15 days. Time is flying.

My son turns 21 today.So hard to believe.

B:Apple pie yogurt with slivered almonds

S:Cheese stick

L:Salmon with salad

D:Eggs with ham

Vitamins are down water is going down. 

Have a great day everyone.

AngryViking
on 10/1/14 10:25 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

Good Morning fellow menu minions!  Anny, eating my boredom/stress is something that I struggle mightily with.  I never truly realized how much I used that as a coping mechanism until after surgery.  A couple of nights ago I was up later than usual and I could not get my mind off of having a snack in front of the TV.  I ultimately caved (100 cal pack of Dole banana dippers) but the whole time I knew I wasn't hungry and when I was done I knew it wasn't anything but boredom and old habits coming back to visit.  I had to pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.  That old familiar feeling came back last night, so instead of snacking, I went shopping.  It took my mind off snacking for sure, but I don't know how fiscally responsible that would be to shop every time I had a craving.  haha  I think the lesson I am trying to learn is that I need to just "be" with whatever I am feeling instead of trying to numb it out of existence, you know?

Oh!  My shopping trip was totally fun and I ended up buying 2 pairs of jeans and two pairs of work pants in 18s and 20s.  Woot woot!  I felt totally sassy and really didn't care that I dropped coin on stuff that probably won't last the year.  Eff it!  LOL  I am 11 weeks out today, down 55lb and unwilling to feel bad about trying to look good.  *pbbbllt*   

B:  coffee and a Breakstone Cottage double in peach

L:  Morningstar Farms Mediterranean chickpea burger with feta and hummus

S:  1/2 Pure Protein S'mores bar

D:  Cheeseburger mac and sugar snap peas

S:  Kay's Naturals Protein+ cookie bites in cinnamon

Totals:  Cals:   828   Protein:  56   Carbs:  81   Fat:  33

Anyone have ideas to bump up my fiber intake?  I started tracking that in my macros and I am woefully low. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/14 10:35 pm

Night time is really hard for me if I am by myself.I brush my teeth sometimes.I will watch tv in my room since I would never eat in bed. I had to stop shopping I was getting a little out of control.

You totally need to buy yourself new clothes though.

AnnyBananny
on 10/1/14 10:36 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

AV - hell no don't feel bad about wanting to look good! You're working so hard, so show it off! I DO try to limit my shopping, but sometimes you just have to spend some money so your clothes aren't falling off your butt!

I am working on increasing my fiber as well, after a few weeks of bathroom troubles, my PA recommended paying closer attention to my fiber intake and recommended around 30 grams a day. I was pretty surprised to see I was mostly getting in the low 20s, so it hasn't been too, too hard to up it a bit. I eat greek yogurt every morning for breakfast lately, as you know, so I add 2 tablespoons of Fiber One Original to that - I like the extra crunch it adds and for 15 calories I get 4 grams of fiber! I also often have a snack of Fiber Gourmet crackers, now this adds to my carbs for the day, but not too bad). Finally I did cave and get a fiber supplement, though make sure to look at the labels carefully - I discovered that some have a LOT of calories, so I went with SmartFiber (or FiberSmart, can't remember which it is) and it only have 5 calories. 

dlang057
on 10/1/14 10:49 pm
RNY on 03/25/14

Good morning. I am also having a tough time with falling off the wagon. I’m finding old thoughts creeping in, my mind wanders and I think about food and not surprisingly at the same times of the day I struggled with pre-op. I’m not physically hungry so it is all in my head. Admittedly I have not coped very well with it; I just given in, mostly with an extra snack or a larger portion, etc. I hate feeling controlled by food! I loved how it felt the first 4 months or so when food didn’t seem to matter. My only coping skill at this point is trying to stay busy in the evenings but that i**** & miss at this point. Can’t wait to hear what everyone else has to say.

Today I am going with co-workers to lunch at a pizza place. I have been craving real pizza like crazy lately so I will order a salad (has chickpeas equals added protein) and a single slice of cheese pizza. I found their menu items on MFP so I know what my numbers will be and can tweak the rest of my plan accordingly. My carbs are high but I’m meeting the mark on my other numbers so it works for me.

Enjoy your day everyone!

B – Chike!

S – black bean burger

L – Slice of pizza & salad from Buddy’s

D – Leftover salad from lunch w/grilled chicken

W/V – Have started and expect them to be on track today.

Totals – 954 calories, 82g protein, 94g carbs, 29g fat

AnnyBananny
on 10/2/14 1:58 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Danielle, good luck with the pizza. That's a sleeping dog I'm going to let lie for now! Pizza was a major way I got to WLS, so I'm going to steer clear. But I think you're doing it right - logging it and accounting for the extra cals and carbs in other places - perfect! That's what this is all about, finding balance, right?

I feel you on missing the ease of the first few months. Ok, it wasn't easy, but I definitely didn't feel hungry in the way I do now and I felt much more controlled by the surgeon's orders than I do now.

karenp8
on 10/1/14 10:51 pm - Brighton, IL

Good morning everyone. Today is a rainy gloomy day hetpre in Illinois so no walk at the park here today. I will hit the treadmill program 7 in a few minutes and do the healthrider for 20 minutes also. I think the urge to snack will always be with me especially in the evening when watching TV. I have gotten smart early out and allow for a snack about an hour before bed to help keep my sugar from dropping too much overnight. Its planned into my calories for the day and also keeps me eating every 3 to 4 hours like my dietitian wants me to do in maintenance. I have tried to pick up new hobbies like reading(currently Gone Girl) and knitting to stop the boredom eating from happening. I really don't focus on being on or off track,I just think about the next choice and trying to make the best one for my health. Choices can't always be perfect because life happens,but we can strive and succeed at making the best choice we can. Don't beat yourself up--just make the next choice a good one. Post op 25 months and weight at 119 today. On track with fluids and vitamins so far. Here's my eats for today: B1/2 c steel cut oats with nuts and half a banana with peanut butter L 31/2 oz deli chicken and cheese and 1/2 c Greek yogurt S Greek yogurt D 31/2 oz stuffed chicken and 1/2 c green beans S Greek yogurt with nuts before bed. To get more fiber I add a daily dose of benefiber in my morning coffee. Hope everyone has a productive day full of good choices!

tracy71
on 10/1/14 11:33 pm

Good Morning! So glad Im not the only one with nite time snacking and that is exactly what brought me to this website!!

342 days out almost a yr 10/25

I have to ask is there a recipe for the crispy chocolate chic peas you all speak of? Someone yesterday I had asked about my ticker I am not very computer smart I would love to post pics and such I don't know if my computer doesn't have the capability or what I will ck with my kids Im sure they could help me, just trying to get them to hang with me for an hr is tuff since Im not cool for a 16 or 18 yr old boy.

B) Weigh****cher turkey sausage, egg, chz English muffin  230 cal  14 g protein

L) Atkins Shirmp Scampi 310 Cal 16g protein

D) Beef Stroginoff made with ground turkey 320 cal 3g protein

As I type my stuff in I have like no protein and already have 860 for calories thinking this is why im not meeting my goal I think I am taking in to many calories even though I have good portion control...

tracy71
on 10/1/14 11:34 pm

Oh and circuit training at the gym too tonite!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics