Disappointing News - Surgery delayed

tekkoit
on 10/6/14 11:03 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I should be prepping for surgery tomorrow but received a call from the internist today telling me that he has delayed surgery.  After repeated blood work confirmed that my prothrombin time inr blood test results came back abnormal.  So this basically means that my blood is not clotting properly in a specific amount of time.  The internist said next step is more blood work to confirm what the issue is, and continue on optifast. (not sure if I should take this as a positive meaning that surgery is still a posibility)

I am grateful that they found this problem now rather than during surgery, but I am also very disappointed that I have hit another road block.  Has anyone had any similar issues?  Is this something i should consider as a warning sign and not proceed?

Kevin; Age: 42;  Surgery Date (RNY): 3/24/15;  Height: 5' 10"  SW: 426 CW: 332

poet_kelly
on 10/6/14 11:15 am - OH

I would consider it a sign that your doctor is very on top of things and wants your surgery to be safe.  If your blood isn't clotting properly, surgery would be really dangerous - you don't want to have excessive bleeding and end up needing transfusions, or worse, bleed to death!  But sure, surgery is still a possibility.  They just need to find out why your blood isn't clotting right so they can treat it.  And how fortunate they found the problem now, instead of when you were in surgery or in an accident or something and ended up bleeding far too much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cspotrun
on 10/6/14 11:55 am
RNY on 07/01/14

That really stinks to be so close.  Of course it's the safest thing, but I get being very disappointed.  I found out after my surgery that I have a bleeding disorder.  Not too serious, but it did leave me sick and needing transfusions after surgery.  It would've been better if they found it before, for sure.  My doctor told me it's no big deal for any future surgery, that it can be treated ahead of time with medication to make the surgery safer.  Plus no heparin after for sure.  Hang in there.  I think it will happen for you.  Just a small setback.

Karen   

cpower100
on 10/7/14 10:19 am

I don't have the same issue but I had my surgery cancelled by my surgeon 5 days before my scheduled date.  I have been so upset since he told me.  I am meeting with him again tomorrow and will know then if he intends to reschedule but I am not holding on to to much hope at this point.  Such a long way to come for such a terrible ending :(

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views