WL counseling, Pre op blood work done, EGD scheduled, but no surgery date yet.

LuvelyQueen
on 10/2/14 12:27 pm

Hello All, 

I am new to the forums :-)  I have completed my 6 month WL counseling and my initial WLS consult where he ordered LOTS of blood work, an EKG and a upper Xray. The blood results are trickling in, and all look good so far (I can view them online). I have my EGD scheduled for 10/13/14. If all looks well with the rest of my blood work and with my EDG, how soon after "could" I be scheduled for surgery? The reason I'm asking is because I went to the initial consult on 9/3/14 and he said he could get me to surgery pretty quick but when I called to schedule my EGD, I had to wait 6 weeks for that. I know I'm just being impatient but I wish I had an idea! Nervous! Excited! By the way, I'm having the RNY. TIA! 

poet_kelly
on 10/2/14 2:21 pm - OH

Depends on how busy your surgeon is.  Could be a week after, could be a couple months after.

Do you have to wait for insurance approval?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LuvelyQueen
on 10/2/14 2:39 pm

No I have Medicare. And thank you for replying! I'm just nervous! 

poet_kelly
on 10/2/14 2:40 pm - OH

OK, that helps since you don't have to wait for approval.

I have Medicare too and I think my surgeon was maybe two weeks after my EGD.   But it really just depends on your surgeon's schedule.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LuvelyQueen
on 10/2/14 2:54 pm

Thanks! I'm looking forward to becoming healthy! I have quite a few weight related health issues, including type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea and osteoarthritis. Along with that I suffer from depression. At my highest weight I was 350. I am now 331. If I can get a jump start on the weight loss, I am certain I can do the rest to accomplish my goal of being healthy! It's all about health for me. The vanity part of it is just a bonus :-) I'm so glad I found this forum! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:32 pm - OH

Yep, what Kelly said. Your insurance approval could take a while or could only take a couple of days. The surgeon could be scheduling surgery for only a week in advance or could be scheduling 2 months in advance.  No way for anyone to even guess, unfortunately.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LuvelyQueen
on 10/2/14 2:40 pm

Yeah I understand that. Just trying to figure out too much! Thank u! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:45 pm - OH

It's natural to be excited, anxious, and impatient!  

I remember spending the whole week after we submitted my insurance info wondering what my "date" might be and trying to mentally plan things based on potential dates (and the surgeon's office had already told me that she was scheduling 1.5 to 2 weeks out at that time, but it often changed quickly if they got a flood of approvals all at once).

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LuvelyQueen
on 10/2/14 3:00 pm

Wow! I just read ur signature! 190 lbs lost! You are my hero :-) 

Yeah I have a part time job and want to make sure I give them sufficient notice of when I will be out, the holidays are coming and I'm wondering if I will be eating applesauce or turkey...lol plus I get a call every other day asking "when is ur surgery". Maybe if they will quit asking me I will calm down!!! I just have a loving caring family :-) thanks again! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 21 views
Recent Topics