Four Days Post Surgery ... uncomfortable, overwhelmed....

brenda57
on 10/4/14 6:19 am

I am four days post RNY. I have had huge bouts of pain from eating since moved to pureed foods. I can't  seem to choose an amount that doesn't give me discomfort. Sometimes it ends up extremely painful.

My only goal today is get to in basic meds, 16  oz. Fluid and some protein (maybe 30 grams, although I know the minimum goal is 65. Only 3 meals today. 

I ate 2/3 of an ounce of oatmeal with PB2 & milk for breakfast over 25 minutes, and am taking about 15 minutes per glass of water.

Thoughts, suggestions? 

I KNOW that learning how to take in liquids and foods without causing pain is my goal. UGHHHHHH!!!!!!

HELP!!!

poet_kelly
on 10/4/14 9:05 am - OH

If you're having a lot of pain on pureed foods, I'd stick to full liquids for a few more days.

I'm wondering why your goal is only 16 oz of fluid?  That's not nearly enough.  And if you can get in a glass of water in just 15 minutes, then why can't you get in more than two glasses?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brenda57
on 10/5/14 2:53 am

Think I'm TOO wrapped up in the meal, 1/2 hour break, liquid.... 1/2 hour break, meal....  Re: the water, today I am able to drink 3 ounces in an hour. Can do 1 in15 minutes, but need a break after 3 (was less yesterday). PROGRESS!

RoxySquirrel13
on 10/4/14 9:08 am

I was on a full liquid diet for a week after surgery.  At first they told me to aim for 2-4 oz of fluids an hour and try to get 32oz per day.  Maybe try liquids for a day or so?  (protein shakes, thinned out yogurt, popsicles, jell-o, cream soups)

Start Weight: 297         Surgery Weight: 279.7        Current Weight  248.4

Surgery 9/17/14

brenda57
on 10/5/14 2:51 am

Thanks for your response. LIQUIDS is the answer of the day!! I am doing better today. Trying to pump the fluids. Do you need to take a 1/2 break between water and the other items?? 

GodsChildII
on 10/4/14 9:16 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I am confused your post days that you are "four DAYS" post RNY. Your meal plan calls for you to move to puréed foods less than a week after surgery? Perhaps you should concentrate on liquids and allowing yourself to heal before moving to the next stage. Have you spoken to your suergeons office?

poet_kelly
on 10/4/14 9:47 am - OH

Many surgeons have patients eating pureed food before they leave the hospital.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brenda57
on 10/5/14 2:55 am

I've noticed that all programs are different. Mine wanted me moved to pureed foods before I left the hospital...a disaster! Such pain I stayed another night.

Now I'm kind of back to mostly LIQUIDS +, like protein shakes, some cucumber water, soups (with added protein) and I'm gonna try pudding. BABY STEPS. Thanks for your comments!

NYMom222
on 10/4/14 1:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You will work up to the protein... fluid is more important... 15 minutes a glass of water is actually good. Eat very small amounts 2-3 bites at a time. Drink a protein shake as liquid, premier protein has 30g in each serving. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Carolyn W.
on 10/4/14 1:11 pm

Hi there! I just had a VSG on Monday. My surgeon has me on the full liquid diet for 12 days (so I start pureed foods on the 15th.) For me, I still get weird pains in my stomach when I drink anything, but I try to stretch a little after and they go away. Right now, I would focus on getting your fluids in. Dehydration is not fun. Good luck and welcome to the losers bench!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 442 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 450 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404