HELP!!!!!!!!!10 years post roux-y- malnutrition, can't eat/function down 30#-2 weeks

ralley38
on 10/4/14 12:21 pm

Ive just started reading these boards so Im sure Ill find some answers but throwing this out there. I am ten years post roux-y. Ive done excellent, had a few bowel obstructions but Ive also had a ton of abd. surgery so I can’t blame that on roux-y.I originally lost 100# and maintained loss of 75#. About 3 months ago I started to loose weight. I was not trying to or doing anything differently. At first I didn’t even notice, people kept commenting on how good I looked, they could tell I was loosing weight. Followed by are you ok? You are loosing to much weight. I started to feel weak, I would eat a few bites and then feel uncomfortable full. Some times I could eat normal but within 15 minutes I was very uncomfortable full and sleepy. I would pull my car over and sleep for an hour. Didn’t seem to matter what I ate, meat, cheese, just carbs. Couldn’t eat much of anything. I have been in to see my bariatric doctor. Ive now lost 30#. dr. did an EGD and lower scope. 4 days later I passed out and was admitted with GI bleed. Never found out exactly where I was bleeding from, but it resolved.. I was transferred to a larger hospital and they did a longer scope and still didn’t find anything. My hgb is back up. I continue to not be able to eat. Ive been off work for 3 weeks. Just sept 12 hours, took 3 bites of sf pudding, after 10 min was stuffed to the max. Dr. believes the GI bleed was unrelated the problems - wt loss, malnutrition, inability to eat. No nausea, vomiting, no S&S of bleeding. I work on protein drinks, drinking 15 cc every 15 min. like day 1. I am scheduled for an exploratory lap tues. I also am scheduled for a barium swallow in a couple weeks ( that was cancelled when I started bleeding). Im really, really thinking I want this reversed if they can’t find anything. I can’t believe Im saying this. There was a time when I would kill to be able to feel extremely full after 3 bites. But I can’t do anything, I feel like crap. Im off work. I try to function. I get light headed when I get up. Ive been in ER 2 x since my bleed. Ive been home for about 2 weeks. Went to see bariatric dr. and he sent me to ER. Both times I was dehydrated, given IV fluids and niacin, K+ , IV to replace d/t levels were so low. Also said ketones were very high, so obviously Im loosing too much. I am taking all of my vitamins, doing the best I can to get protein/fluids in. Im scared to death they aren’t going to find anything and Im going to be back home, in bed, feeling like crap again. CT scans on my abd. have been negative . Also had CT head. (-). But they do show my bowels are extremely full of stool . Im sure its some type of motility problem. I do take Mom at least every other day per dr. request. Anyone out there have any input????  I am getting scared. would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/4/14 1:20 pm

Google SiBO IBS-C.....make a sure you find as much as you can print and take to the doc..

I have to take 2-3 capfulls of Miralax a day.  And i follow a very strict diet. If you impacted - you probably need to get clean first, them make sure you follow low carb low fiber, low starches FODMAP diet.  

If t they can't test you for SIBO - just taking proper antibiotics for 10-12 days,and follow a very strict SIBO diet may really help. 

Hope you can find the answers. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ralley38
on 10/4/14 1:44 pm

Very interesting. THANK YOU. I will call my doctor on monday. Would be wonderful if it were just something like this. Ill let you know .thanks again

cspotrun
on 10/4/14 11:51 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

regarding the feeling very sleepy and passing out after eating, is it possibly reactive hypoglycemia?  Have they tested your blood sugar before and after eating?  I know it doesn't explain the fullness, just curious if that's part of the picture.  Good luck to you and I hope you feel better very soon.

Karen   

Ladytazz
on 10/5/14 12:28 am

Also, if it is SIBO, or even if it isn't, take a good probiotic or better yet good cultured yogurt or kefir, to keep things in balance.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/5/14 2:48 am

Some probiotics or dairy may make SIBO worse....if that is the case...

With SIBO only some probiotics are recommended. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

carimiller9173
on 10/5/14 12:28 am - Wilmington, DE

Don't have any suggestions, just wanted to send a HUGE HUG your way and hope you feel better soon.

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

ralley38
on 10/6/14 2:46 pm

Thanks to everyone. Surgery is tomorrow. I am a RN and I have checked my blood sugar after eating. Starts over 300 and drops each time I checked it (every 15min ****il was below 60 (about 1.5-2 he's later). What I ate all carbs, all protein ect made no difference. I had not heard of reactive hypoglycemi****il I started looking up possible causes for all problems. I have had many episodes since roux-y where my BS bottomed out after eating. Was never tired, just classic symptoms of low BS. Fixed with eating some PB. 

ralley38
on 10/8/14 11:50 am

Had surgery, ton of scar tissue wrapped tightly around bowels, partial bowel obstructions. Each time they go in causes more scar tissue. 

Bibo
on 10/11/14 8:14 am

I have just had surgery for this. Is it normal to have a huge bulging thing on the abdomen near the incision site?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views