Advice on weight loss

bthayes0
on 10/5/14 2:35 am

Hi everyone.  I had RNY on 9/6. I'm 4 weeks out. I'm not eating anything I shouldnt. No cheating. If anything I struggle to get in over 60 grams of protein and almost never get the amount of liquid that they recommend. As of today I have only lost 16 pounds. I am only averaging about 400 calories a day. I have started walking a out daily. I am praying that I didn't do this for nothing. I've lost more than this on other diets.  Please share any insights as to why I'm not losing. The surgeon even told me I would most likely lose about 30 lbs. The first month. I'm so sad about this...

karenp8
on 10/5/14 3:27 am - Brighton, IL

You have lost about 4 pounds per week and my surgeon says 3 to 5 pounds per week is good weight loss. You did not gain weight overnight and won't lose it that way either. Be patient and do as your doctor says and the weight will come off. You really need to I increase your water intake and get at least 64 ounces per day because you will feel better and allow your body to flush out the fat and byproducts more easily. Just take a deep breath and follow your doctors instructions and you will do great. No one said this would be easy!

dccyr
on 10/5/14 3:31 am

Be patient, concentrate on getting the liquids and protein in, the weight will come off.  60 grams of protein is the minimum you should get, but it takes some time to get there.  You are right on target.  It's like you are setting yourself up to fail if you think you should lose a specific amount of weight.  Doctors give averages and everyone is different.  

Just be patient, you will continue to lose.  

bthayes0
on 10/5/14 4:00 am

Thanks. I can't seem to help but get frustrated though when the surgeon says 30. I also work with 2 ladies who had wls and they both lost much quicker.

I never expected this to be easy and I don't mind putting in the work but like anything when you do the work you get anxious to see the fruits of your labor.

Laura in Texas
on 10/5/14 5:05 am

We are all different, so please try to relax. Did you lose any weight pre-op? People who lose prior to WLS tend to lose more slowly in the beginning.

HERE is the OH post-op planner to kind of give you an idea of what you might expect given your height, weight, etc.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sherrie P.
on 10/5/14 7:59 am
RNY on 02/06/13

You did not post your stats... less to lose and you will lose slower. Also like Laura said if you were already losing pre-op that would matter!

I lost 19 pounds the first month and I was admittedly nervous and jealous of the people around me that seemed to be evaporating - but good news, I lost slow and steady and lost all my excess weight.  You are in it for the long haul.

My nut said to always strive for 800 calories a day. You aren't going to have much energy on 400.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 10/5/14 8:03 am - OH

You are losing.  You are losing an average of four pounds per week. Which is perfectly average according to my surgeon.  but if you surgeon said you would lose twice that much, I'd call him in the morning and ask him about it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mentor
on 10/5/14 9:43 am, edited 10/5/14 9:59 am - CA

Metabolism slows with too few calories.  Try increasing your calories and walk at least 30 min. a day.  You seem to be right on track with the weight loss, but you need to eat more than 400 calories.  900 to 1,000 is reasonable.  Do some research on how low calorie intake can decrease your metabolism.  Your body will protect itself when it is starving.  Think of how a fire goes out when it has no fuel, because your body will do the same without food.  I am 17 years out with RNY, I have done a lot of research on the topic when I got frustrated with not losing weight and I am doing everything "right."  Also, age has a lot to do with weight loss, as does water retention and a host of other factors. 

NYMom222
on 10/5/14 12:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am 9 weeks out and I have not had speedy weightloss... I go through spurts of losing faster, then a plateau. You didn't mention if you were still having a protein shake a day, but I know that is the only way I can get in my 60g. 400 calories a day seems really low, adding a protein shake may help even if you feel you can't eat anything else. I try to make sure they have 30g of protein in them, if they don't I add some unflavored protein powder. I felt sad too because I wasn't doing what I thought I should, but you need to think long term, many people reach their goal losing slowly. Look at the post every day of 'What are you eating today RNYers?' for ideas and you can commit to planning your day. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bthayes0
on 10/5/14 12:33 pm

Thanks for the support....

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?