Protein Shakes

charminglearner
on 10/10/14 12:40 am
RNY on 10/27/14

My surgery's in a little over two weeks, and I'm gathering stuff together that I'll need.  

I don't know how many protein shakes I should buy?  Costco has a sale this week so I want to go stock up today or tomorrow.  Does anyone have a rough idea how many cases I should invest in?

Thank you in advance for your help.

freeandsassy
on 10/10/14 12:57 am

You'll really want to taste them before you invest in any.  Your taste changes a little after surgery, so what may have been fairly yummy before surgery may end up being horrible afterward. You will also need to somehow consume 50 grams of protein per day, so the more protein you can get per oz will really matter, too.   Have you discussed it with your dietician?  S/he may have some good advice for you.  

poet_kelly
on 10/10/14 1:04 am - OH

Don't stock up.  What you like now, you might not like later.  instead, buy a few of several different brands.  Then stock up after surgery when you find out what you like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

charminglearner
on 10/10/14 1:20 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Good to know.  Thank you.

NYMom222
on 10/10/14 1:47 am
RNY on 07/23/14

The good thing about Costco is they will take back an open case if you don't like it. I bought several cases from them and returned everything but the Premier Chocolate. At regular Walmarts I found a Atkins Advantage coffee or latte or cappachino flavor I liked...forget the official name. Even though I mostly use powders it's good to have the Ready-to-drink ones on hand too. Vitamin shops sells samples  size of Jay Robb and some others. I like Jay Robb too. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MickeyDee
on 10/10/14 3:46 am

Go to the Syntrax Nectar website and get their sample pack.  It contains one sample of each of their products (I think there are 12 or 13 different flavors) and is a good way to get a taste for future reference.  An unflavored powder is a good thing to keep on hand as well, for adding to soups, etc.

selhard
on 10/10/14 9:56 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I remember liking Premiere Protein vanilla in the smallest bottle possible.  For when you are a few weeks post-op, my advice is to invest in a Nutribullet to experiment making homemade protein smoothies that you do like and can vary recipes as your taste change. Many good variations can be found at www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com. It's been advised to stop protein drinks after six months.  But... I am 2 years post-op and make a protein shake each morning using Unjury brand protein powder.  I will continue until tiring of them. Not yet.  Once you start making your own, the store-bought ones just don't cut it.  

tlsanders
on 10/10/14 11:57 am

I am one week post surgery and wish I had more protein choices on hand.  I live in a food desert so just about everything I get I have to order online.  I loved my protein powder pre-surgery but cannot get it down post-surgery.  As a result I am not eating enough calories nor protein and I am very weak.  I am ordering the Syntrax Nectar sample pack and searching online for options that can be added to cream soups because they get through my body the best right now.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/14 4:53 am

At the bottom of this forum's page you will find an ad for Premier Protein shakes. Each one has 30 g of protein in only 11 ounces of liquid. For me the Vanilla tastes the best. When you click the ad you go to their web site and they will tell you where to buy it or you can order it direct on line to your front door. Costco has it and there is a $5.00 rebate there from Costco and Sam's Club. 

tlsanders
on 10/12/14 8:20 pm

Thank you.  They are very reasonably priced also.  I will look into them.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 760 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics