pros and cons please help

Leigh Anne Pereira
on 10/15/14 5:26 am - Marietta, GA
VSG on 07/02/15

I am making a pros and cons list for vertical sleeve and rny because I cant decide which to do. I would greatly appreciate any comments or tips from anyone that has had the RNY. Any particular things you found out afterwards that you wish you had known before hand? Thank you so much for your help

Leigh Anne

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

bublegirl1
on 10/15/14 7:37 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I had the sleeve in 2010. I lost almost 80 lbs but didn't get to goal. Gained half back and have been maintaining that for over 2 years. I was just approved for revision to RNY. 

I did make the mistake of allowing carbs back in too early and that contributed to my weight gain. My surgeon also have be information about what they have been seeing over time with the sleeve becoming dilated and misshapen. The pros to me at The time was that there was no bypass of the intestine. You still had a regular working stomach just a lot smaller. I have met people and have seen where people who just have the sleeve regained a lot of their way if not all of their weight afterwards where as the RNY has a little bit better statistics in that area  

With RNY you do get the malabsortion part which helps to get to goal a little easier than just restriction. But it doesn't last as strong or long as the DS which lasts for life. My surgeon said that the mail observe shin with the RNY last forever and just diminishes overtime. The con about our and why is that you always have melds arson vitamins and minerals. You didn't have to worry about that with the sleeve. Obviously no matter which you choose you still have to fight like heck to maintain the loss afterwards but my doctor thinks that after being very overweight all my life that the RNY would be a better tool for me to get to my goal. 

Good luck with whichever you choose!!

-Amie

HFA70
on 10/16/14 3:53 am

I have only known a couple of people who have had the sleeve, more have had RNY.  The two women with the sleeve never made it it their goal weight and have put some on.  The RNY girls all made it to goal and 3-4 years out are still maintaining.

I have RNY and can say I don't know much about the sleeve.  I had GERG which is why the surgeon recommended RNY for me and I had over 100 lbs to lose.

The CONS for both are plentiful, if you run into some of the issues others have.  I wouldn't change my experience for anything.

Good luck on your decision.

Denise2200
on 10/17/14 4:15 am

First, please understand that whichever one you choose, you must be 100% dedicated to the decision and follow the plan for each.  That being said, my aunt had the sleeve surgery in June 2013, and by the time I saw her again 10 months later, she had already lost over 100 pounds and looked like a totally different person!!  She was a nut when it came to her eating, drinking and exercising!

I had the RNY in April of this year and have lost 70 pounds.  I have done that without too much dedication to my exercise routine, unfortunately.  The biggest reason I chose the RNY is because it had more of a "guarantee" of me getting rid of my diabetes and high cholesterol, although there is actually no real "guarantee."  I also chose the RNY because they said that I could not lose as much weight with the sleeve; however, my aunt, along with others, have proven that wrong.  The bottom line is that you really could be successful with either one as long as you stick to the new way of life.

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views