Eating & Drinking together

GodsChildII
on 10/15/14 5:44 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I know that this seems like a dumb question, but I don't recall anyone ever explaining the "why" during my seminars. Why are you not allowed to drink fluids for 30 minutes after eating? I tried to google it but I could not find an answer. I have NOT been doing this because I was told not to, however I am very curious.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/15/14 6:04 am, edited 10/15/14 6:04 am - OH

Because the fluid washes the food out of your pouch (and then you don't feel full and will either overeat at that meal or will be hungry too soon and will eat additional food alter because you got hungry) 

Lora

p.s. The 30 minute restriction is based on the fact that it takes about 30 minutes for the food to naturally exit the pouch.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

GodsChildII
on 10/15/14 6:14 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Thanks so much for replying, that makes sense. I was thinking that it would stretch the pouch or something.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/15/14 6:21 am - OH

No, the liquid will push the food through the stoma before it will build up enough pressure to stretch the pouch.  

I have heard that some surgeons tell patients that it can stretch the stoma if there are large pieces of food in the pouch.  You shouldn't HAVE any chunks of anything in your pouch  though, since you should be chewing all your food well.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/14 8:23 am

Totally listen to what Lora posted.She knows what she is talking about.It is really important not to drink when you eat after RNY.

jefferytmc
on 10/16/14 12:59 am

That is the main reason (pushing food through), the other thing (at least early on) is the water cannot go anywhere and you might end up vomiting.  

I made that mistake once early (I just forgot) and I was sick.

Now, it is pretty much a habit and I do not even really want to drink water until I know the food has been processed.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

GodsChildII
on 10/16/14 2:22 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Thanks for replying!

MyLady Heidi
on 10/16/14 2:15 am

The reason you can't find a reason is because there isn't one.  I have eaten and drank sips of water as needed since day one.  If anything I eat way less then most people as far out as me (nearly 10 years).  Have you ever dumped water on bread or anything that retains fluid, it just expands.  Whoever thinks drinking water washes food out of your pouch is a fool, unless you are running a water hose down your throat how would that ever be possible.  The reason I believe we hear this nonsense about sipping as needed with meals and straws and gum is because doctors for the most part think MO people are fat, lazy and stupid and have to be lead like sheep to the slaughter as if we are incapable of handling our new responsibility to our newly created anatomy.

Seriously you can drink protein drinks for eternity (liquid) and they are supposed to keep you full (how? they are liquid), yet if you eat a piece of dry meat and you add some water it's gonna wash away and you are gonna eat more.  Does that actually make sense to your logical mind?  What I find even more humorous is the people who will add sauce to chicken because they can't eat it dry.  Hello people sauce contains calories, water doesn't.  The reason people who drink with meals regain, has nothing to do with a few sips of water, it has everything to do what they are eating, how much and how frequently.  If you make a commitment to your health and eating appropriate food at each meal and you want to sip as you need to you will be just like me, at goal at 10 years out.  I don't eat crap, processed, high fat or gmo's, I try to get everything organic, grown without pesticides, not polluted by genetically modified organism's that are fed to the meat I eat, I stay as far away from protein supplements produced in a lab.  Anything made by a chemical company is suspect in my opinion.  I believe little of what I read, less of what I hear and go by my own experience.  I don't endorse drinking with meals, this is what I do, you asked, I just wanted to clear up the myth.  Some people say drinking with meals makes them sick, so they probably shouldn't do it.  It is your journey you chart your own course and make your own rules.

Good Luck!

GodsChildII
on 10/16/14 2:20 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

MyLady Heidi
on 10/16/14 2:40 am

You will hear from those who drank the koolaid from their doctors that my answer is incorrect.  But you have to be responsible for you and do what works for you.  Only you know you and what the impact of your actions will be.  Can you chew gum without swallowing it?  I can so that was a non-issue, I chew it every time I fly.  But then again I am an adult and take responsibility for all my actions.  I didn't have wls to trade being fat for some other problems like smoking or alcoholism or drugs to cope with everyday stress and life.  I work with a bunch of smokers who have to run outside every other minute because they are so stressed out.  Really?  Seriously?  There jobs are no more stressful than mine, but I refuse to be a slave to absolutely anything ever again, so when I get stressed I get up walk around or I just suck it up.  It's called being an adult.  More people should try it.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics