Getting Back On Track After RNY 10 Years Ago

buzzbarnes
on 10/16/14 5:02 am

I had the RNY surgery a little over 10 years ago.  I started at 314 lbs and got the lowest weight of 184 lbs.  Needless to say, I was thrilled at the outcome.  Since then, I have lost my job and decided to retire instead of looking for a new job at 59 years old.  That was 4 years ago.  In that amount of time, I have manager to put 40 of those pounds back on and I am frantic!  Home all day gets too comfortable!  I am going to a class at Kaiser tonight that is supposed to help you get back on track.  My question for anyone that knows is this ... I'm going back to square one with the protein drinks, clear broths, jello, et****il my stomach shrinks back down.  I found Premier Protein in the bottles at Costco that are ready to drink and I like them a lot.  They have 30 grams of protein, 160 calories and 3 grams of fat.  If I drink 3 a day as meal replacements, is that enough to be a healthy lifestyle?  I would appreciate any advice you can give me and am certainly available if anyone has questions about the RNY procedure.

MyLady Heidi
on 10/16/14 5:37 am

I totally do not agree with this approach, you need to reduce calories and eat a normal healthy variety of low fat meats, cheese, vegetables and fruit and whole grains.  Crap made in a lab is going to do nothing for you.  You aren't going to shrink anything down and you will probably be hungry if you are just drinking and never eating.  You need to be on a reduced calorie diet and get in some exercise.  It's totally doable, you just have to do it.  Sorry but once you regain you have to diet just like the rest of the world to re-lose, there is no magical cure.

NYMom222
on 10/16/14 10:06 am, edited 10/16/14 10:06 am
RNY on 07/23/14

During my pre-op diet (not the liquid phase) they told me to eat 100g of protein a day and not more than 100g carbs ...Not counting my vegetables-, didn't need to count the carbs in those. Included in the counts was to have one protein drink a day. I could add limited olive oil to cook or for salads. I lost 10lbs in 3 weeks... and with lower carbs my cravings did go down. I think that is more balanced than trying to eat 3 protein drinks a day, I think that just sets you up to 'cheat'. read the posts 'What are you eating today RNYers?' It usually runs M-F. That may help too to see what others are doing. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/16/14 10:13 am - OH

Liquids only doesn't actually shrink your pouch back down, so there really is no point to do it unless you feel you need to eliminate all solid food I  order to be able to start over with eating properly.

IMO, protein drinks three times a day is NOT a "healthy lifestyle".  It is a liquid diet, and diets fail (as we all know so well) partly because of the sense of deprivation.  Rather than going back to a diet mentality, go back to a TRUEhealthy eating mentality.  Go back to how you were eating (or were supposed to be eating) 6 months out. THAT is much more a healthy lifestyle than all liquids which are going to leave you craving something to actually chew (and probably  craving salt as well). Remember, when you did it before, you were recovering from surgery and food didn't sound good at all. That makes a BIG difference in the ability to follow a liquid diet.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

buzzbarnes
on 10/16/14 10:52 pm

You are exactly right!!  I went to a class at Kaiser last night and was told the same advice almost word for word.  Thank you for your time and I really do appreciate your advice.  I'm going to start at the 6 month mark menu as suggested and all should go well.  Thank you again!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/17/14 2:25 pm - OH

You're welcome.  

If you need encouragement or support along the way, just let us know.  There are LOTS of people here who can, and will,  encourage you, offer suggestions for "cleaning up" bad eating habits, offer suggestions for healthy snacks, etc.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Queen_Tatiana
on 10/16/14 12:13 pm

I too am 10 years out.  I don't agree with your plan to go with a liquid diet.  A better approach would be to diet with cutting your calories and exercise.  Stop snacking on unhealthy foods and limit your portions. 

Bibo
on 10/23/14 11:31 am

I am currently having to do a liquid meal replacement diet as a post op (under medical supervision for a specific reason) and it is HARD. I don't recommend it at all. I will be so glad to be able to eat my three bariatric meals again.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 336 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics