Surgery date and maybe postponing

bublegirl1
on 10/14/14 12:47 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

My surgeon offered to schedule me october 27. I was ecstatic and nervous of course but I know this is what I want to do. But they said they won't know what money I will need up front til they schedule it and the hospital contacts me. I will have a deductible up front but also need to meet my out of pocket. We are hoping they will bill for that part but I don't know. 

So I'm wondering if I should schedule for after the first of the year that way I can get through the holidays first and have time to make sure I have the money. 

When I had VSG I went through the holidays and it was ok but I was further out than I would be this time and I don't want to go through that inevitable depression and crankiness around the holidays that came last time after surgery. 

Not sure what to do...

-Amie

NYMom222
on 10/14/14 2:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I would schedule it now and see what the financial numbers are when they call you. No one is going to stop you from postponing if you can't swing the money. Although I know with my surgeon there was a time limit on some pre-surgery testing and it might have to be repeated if you waited too long. The second part is "the inevitable depression and crankiness." I don't think that is inevitable at all. Is it hard at times? Yes. They are really two seperate considerations, only you can decide. Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bublegirl1
on 10/14/14 3:15 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Thank you for replying. I only say inevitable because I had a very hard time when I got my sleeve. I already suffered from depression and anxiety and so for me it was very very hard. I don't haveA great marriage. So not having a lot of support as hard and at least this time I know more of what to expect and I know that it's all going to be on me with or without the support.I admit I do have things planned next month that will be very difficult to do with eating the way I'm going to be eating only four weeks out. But you are right it's not impossible. I have not yet done any preop activities such as the bloodwork or chest x-ray so I don't have to worry about any of that. It's just a hard decision for me to me and I admit it's been giving me a lot of anxiety but I know in my heart that I want to do it I'm just worried about the timing. I'm really going to have to pray about it hard. I do truly appreciate your response and I think that you raised some really good and valid points and gave me something more to think about so thank you.

-Amie

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/14/14 6:04 pm, edited 10/14/14 6:04 pm

Planning that in the begining of the year may help you financially.  New year - New deductible. That way other issues - lab work, tests - will cost you less out off pocket,  if you need anything else.

Just make sure your insurance is not going to change and exclude any wls surgery, and that the insurance approval will still be good next year.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 10/15/14 12:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you have used some of your medical deductible this year, you may end up paying more next year, as most plans start new after Jan. 1. I had a lot of things on my plate after my surgery... some of them I left to 'we will see how it goes', and some I was determined I would be at no matter what. The 6 1/2 weeks right after surgery I had 3 weddings, (one which was a week long family reunion with everyone coming in from out-of-town), my brother's 60th birthday, and a Church BBQ in my back yard for 80 people that I didn't eat at. I was on a waiting list to have it moved up...to give me more time... but that never happened. 

If your husband isn't supportive are their friends or other family members you can rely on?

I would see if there are support groups you can go to pre-op. My hospital has some support groups pre-op can go to as well, and I went to a community run (outside the hospital) group as well. It helps. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bublegirl1
on 10/15/14 1:20 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I've only met $50 of my $2000 out of pocket and then need to pay my $500 deductible as well. So I wohld pay $50 more after the new year proiding nothing changes. I went ahead and let her schedule it for the 27 and so ill wait for the hospital to call me and see what I have to pay up front and go from there. 

-Amie

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views