Calcium Citrate

Bagspacked
on 10/18/14 11:26 am

My procedure is scheduled for November 21, so I am just learning about vitamins and supplements. Everything my doctor is telling me makes perfect sense. But 4 calcium citrate items spaced 2 hours apart every day forever seems a bit troublesome. I'm wondering how some of you deal with this.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/14 11:37 am - OH

You can absorb about 500 mg calcium citrate at a time.  We need a total of 1500 mg daily, so I take 500 mg three times a day.  With most brands, it takes two pills to get 500 mg, so I take two pills three times a day, at least two hours apart.  Forever.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tanya S.
on 10/18/14 1:03 pm
RNY on 03/25/14

Gettin my calcium in every day has taken a lot of work, but I finally found a good routine. Also, remember you can't take calcium within 3 hours of iron (even multivitamin if it has iron). It interferes with absorption. So here is what works for me.

6:30 am out of bed and take my acid reducer

7:00 am take meds and 500mg tablet of calcium and vitamin D and B12

10:00 am take multivitamin and iron

1:00 pm take 2nd 500mg tablet of calcium

3:00 pm take 3rd dose of 500mg calcium (I take the yummy calcium chews from celebrate vitamins for this dose. It is a reward for getting all my doses in as needed for the day.)

9:00pm take multivitamin and call it a day.

i set a timer on my phone to remind me to take my vitamins during the day. If I am a little late, I have plenty of time at the end of the day before my last dose at bedtime. I always try to maintain the 3 hours between iron and calcium and the 2 hours between calcium doses. It took work to get to where this routine became a habit, but I am finally there. This is what I committed to when I decided on RNY. Not taking my vitamins is not an option, it is what I have to do to remain healthy and reap the benefits of my WLS.

Chilipepper
on 10/18/14 1:28 pm

Bariatric Fusion vitamins contain everything you need including calcium in 4 chewables a day. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/14 1:41 pm

Are there new flavors, because last time I tried these they were disgusting and I wasted a ****load of money for crap I tossed in the trash.

Chilipepper
on 10/18/14 2:22 pm, edited 10/18/14 2:23 pm

Yes they have been reformulated to taste better and to include everything. I don't eat them for snack though I just eat them and get it done. I like the tropical. No more spacing and eating a ****load of pills. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/14 2:29 pm

Maybe I will try them again, I like the idea of fewer pills, but I am super picky about taste and texture.

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/14 1:44 pm

Hey I know you.  Don't you have some sort of fancy IPhone, maybe you could send yourself a reminder to take your pills every couple of hours.  Just a thought.  I personally take out all my pills at the beginning of each day and just take them as the day goes by while I am hard at work.  Seems to have worked since I am still alive nearly 10 years later.  :)

NYMom222
on 10/18/14 3:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My doc has us take 500mg 2x a day. So multivitamin and B-12 AM, calcium with lunch and dinner, 2nd multi at night.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/14 1:17 pm - OH

If you are only taking 1000mg per day instead of the 1500 that the ASMBS recommends as the minimum, please make sure that you have regular DEXA scans and that every year your doctor checks both calcium and PTH (because serum calcium alone is useless in determining whether your intake is sufficient, and some doctors apparently don't know that).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics