Why Can't I Ever Sleep?

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/14 3:58 pm

Why exactly is sleep so elusive, I went to bed hours ago, watched like four episodes of Chopped and I am still awake......Ugh I have a cold and can't take anything, so I am miserable.  Everything for colds makes me sicker then the cold.  

ChristineB
on 10/18/14 9:38 pm, edited 10/19/14 12:17 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

The blue light that is emitted from electronics interfers with the release of melatonin which the pituitary gland releases a few hours before bed time. Tv is an electronic and people think that helps them sleep NOT. Google electronic blue light and you will find a lot of info out there.

edited for spelling

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/14 1:53 pm

Typically tv helps me fall asleep when I am stressed because I watch shows I don't have to think about.

cspotrun
on 10/18/14 10:05 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I've had insomnia for many many years. The best things are to read instead of watching tv at night, stuck to a nightly routine, have good sleep hygiene, etc. But yea, it does stink. Hope you get some shut eye. 

Karen   

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/14 1:54 pm

I was reading and watching tv, still couldn't sleep.  Ughhhhh.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/14 12:58 am

I do take a sleep aid.It does help.But if your brain doesn't shut down you won't sleep so your brain has to be at rest.

JB1114
on 10/19/14 2:16 am - Grain Valley, MO

I've had trouble sleeping for years.  Before my RNY in 2008 I was prescribed Ambien and slept so good.....loved it; however, I did fear I couldn't be awakened during the night in case of an emergency.  My husband has a lot of health problems so he was afraid he wouldn't be able to waken me.  My primary doctor was against my taking it so I quit.  I tried every O-T-C sleep aid with little results.  I've tried Melotonin, did nothing for me.  For awhile Unisom worked pretty well, but eventually I was back to sleeping a few hours then just dozing off.  Benedryl works well.  I take one at bedtime and have been sleeping from about 10:30 to around 5:00 am.  That probably isn't a good solution, but it's working. 

I have a noise machine I've used the last 3 nights and it seems to help.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/14 2:00 pm

My normal routine is to sleep for an hour and wake all night long.  I have never slept through the night ever, I am way too high stress.  I can't take anything or it makes me feel out of control and drugged.  I am ******

Thanks for sharing.

Kate M.
on 10/19/14 3:54 am - toronto, Canada

I have a mild sleep disorder and the first thing they teach you is about "good sleep hygiene". Starting an hour before you want to sleep, you do all your night care/self care stuff (teeth, face cleansing, etc). Once you're done that you turn off all electronics/blinking lights and close the blinds, and dim the lights (or if your lights don't dim, turn off all but one small, not-too-bright lamp). Read or do something quiet that isn'****ching tv (sketch, stretch, pray, meditate). Fifteen minutes before you want to be asleep you should be in bed, in bed clothes, lights off, eyes closed, quietly reflecting on your day, or last night's dreams, anything that isn't going to get you revved up or worked up. If you follow this to the letter, by the time your appointed sleep hour comes you will be asleep. If you do this every night for two weeks and still can't sleep, you may have a sleep disorder. Or you need to quit caffeine 

MyLady Heidi
on 10/19/14 2:04 pm

I don't really like sleep its a waste of time, but I can't go without it forever.  I wish I would never have to sleep ever again.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics