To: ladygodiva1228 & ****rogirl(:

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/14 1:14 pm, edited 10/19/14 1:15 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

I want to apologize for us getting off on the wrong foot.  

To ladygodiva1228:

Your first question was asking if I had ever tried losing weight before on my own. Your second question was asking if they were supervised weight-loss programs and if I knew that I would have to diet and exercise after weight loss surgery in order to keep it off and help it come off.

To answer your questions, yes. I have tried losing weight on my own and it was through multiple supervised weight loss programs. For example I had tried Weigh****chers for a few months and lost 7 pounds. I had also done a doctor supervised weight loss program. That did not work for me.

As for asking if I understood that I have to diet and exercise after weight loss surgery, YES! I totally understand I have to diet and exercise after surgery. That's the only way to keep the weight off and be healthy! I am totally understanding of the point that weight loss surgery is ONLY A TOOL! I apologize if I was rude to you in any way and realize that you were only questioning my knowledge on this subject. I know what I'm getting into, regardless of my age. 

To ****rogirl:

Your comment was telling me that I made too many phone calls and could be noted as a problem patient at my surgeons office. You're right. I made too many phone calls and will refrain from doing so again. As for telling me that I do not get to say "Nothing rude, please" at the end of my posts, I had just found that offensive. I was just asking "please" for people to not comment something that could be found mean by me or other readers. I won't be putting that at the end of my posts any longer due to your comment. From now on, I'll just ignore rude comments. Lol(:

I also need to address your comment on my lack of life experience and IQ.. I have experienced PLENTY in my short life time. From having a child & being a single mother to losing over 12 loved ones by the time I was 9 years old. Working for a living and being engaged, trying on wedding gowns. Graduating class with the highest scores. I have traveled, experimented with religious beliefs, and even have a poem I wrote published in a book. One of the defining moments in my life was losing my sisters. They taught me of life and how to live it. I don't need to tell you my life story to let you know that I have almost as much life experience as I'm possibly going to get. I just want to let you know that age should not define anything or anyone. I respect that you doubt I have life experience at my ripe age but I do. I  may make bad choices but don't people as old as 80 do so as well? I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way. Long story short, thank you for your comment. I will refrain from calling my surgeons office too many times and putting "nothing rude, please" at the end of my posts. 

All in all, I do know what I am getting into with bariatric surgery.  My mother had it in '04 and has maintained a good 120 pounds off since. I have learned her ways of diet and exercise after her surgery and I am well taught on the procedures and lifestyles. Thank you both for your comments and I'm sorry for not reacting well. Take care. 

Sincerely, 

Michelle

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/19/14 11:16 pm - OH

I am glad that you are now able to understand the point I was trying to make about "forum nanny" comments.  No harm, no foul.

Although you clearly have been through a lot already in your life, I would encourage you to print this out and put it away somewhere safe.  Then pull it out and read it in 10 years, again in 20 years, and again in 30 years.  THEN you will see that there is far more to the experience and wisdom that actually living life provides than what you could possibly have experienced in 18 short years, especially since the human brain isn't completely formed and fully able to do things like accurately predict potential consequences of a certain action until about... wait for it... age 18!  (That is not just my opinion, it is scientific fact.  Consult any decent graduate-level Human Development textbook (or any parent of a teenager who can tell you that the decision making processes are still lacking!))  

If you print and save your original post, it is possible that even at the 10-year vantage point (but definitely by the 20-year mark) you will realize why one poster told you it sounded "childish". At the 30-year mark you will laugh.  I truly don't say that to be insulting or mean. I say it to be honest about the way the post came off and to assure you that although every 18 year old in the world just KNOWS they are smarter than their parents (we have all BTDT, and I can guarantee that you will see it in your child when (s)he hits 18, too!), when you are in your 40s or 50s you will realize how little you actually knew at 18. 

As I said before, no harm, no foul.  People here don't hold grudges because it is, after all, just the internet.  Just know that the decision you are making to alter your body is a decision that you will have to live with for the rest of your life... and, in your case, that will be a very long time.  Many surgeons (including the ones in the office that I do psych evals for) won't do WLS other than lap band on someone who is only 18 because of the developmental issues I mentioned above.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/20/14 4:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

What great advice, Lora  

If I could go back and tell my 18 year old self what I've learned through years of experience, I'm sure I still wouldn't listen.  That's the hubris of youth.  A few years ago I read some old diaries I had written in my early 20s and was horrified at how sanctimonious and self-righteous I was.  I thought I knew everything.  It was an eye opening experience for me as I'm sure it will be for the OP if she takes your sage advice.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

kwashington09
on 10/20/14 12:11 am

I have not seen the original post. But I would like to say do what feels right for you in your heart. If you have done the research and are willing to do the work to make your weight loss sucessful then go for it. Your mother has had the surgery so you have family support to lean on to help you on this journey. Its likely that obesity runs in your family and this is a tool to help you fight back. I have meet many people that are older but definately not wiser only you and your surgeon know whats best for your. Be blessed and take care.

Kate M.
on 10/20/14 12:28 am - toronto, Canada

I think part of the problem is that you've decided to use the main forum as your personal blogging space, when the site gives you a blog on your profile exactly for this reason...people who want to read it can sign up, people who don't, won't see it. Using the main forum as a blog is very spammy and if everyone did that it would be chaos. It's disrespectful to the intended use of the space, and saying "I don't want negative comments" and "If you don't like it, don't read" shows your true maturity level, which is exactly what your age is. 

NoDaybut2Day
on 10/20/14 10:35 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

OMG!  Tons of people use the forums as blog space! It's the way to get people engaged and commenting.  A small fraction of comments occur on blogs when compared to the comments made in the forums.  Of course, then you invite whatever comes your way but so be it.  Michelle is doing fine!  She's here to do what the rest of us do, question, ask for guidance, complain, celebrate, support and be supported.  Preachers gotta preach and OH has certainly got its fair share of preachers.

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/14 10:47 am, edited 10/20/14 11:01 am
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/14 1:07 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you so much, NoDaybut2Day!

I've been bagged on quite a lot for the things I'm doing wrong on here and everyone seems to hate me for posting my blogs and what I've got going on in my journey. 

I really appreciate your kind comment and support. It means a lot to me!(:

-M

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/20/14 3:03 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On October 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM Pacific Time, MommyOfTaeya wrote:

Thank you so much, NoDaybut2Day!

I've been bagged on quite a lot for the things I'm doing wrong on here and everyone seems to hate me for posting my blogs and what I've got going on in my journey. 

I really appreciate your kind comment and support. It means a lot to me!(:

-M

No one hates you.  No one knows you.  No need to play the martyr. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views