Tentitive Surgery Date 12/01- I'm a bit discombobulated

Zonechef
on 10/21/14 10:04 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hi all, I'm sure this has be asked before but being new to this forum I have not found other related threads. I am a 56 Y.O. man who has been obese the vast majority of my adult life. My high weight was 311. I have lost quite a bit of weight (50-75 lbs.)several times twice keeping it off for a couple of years, but eventually regained almost all if not all. I went to see my surgeon in May weighing 282 and have been seeing him ever since. My insurance has the 6 month rule so we progressed with visits tests ect. 2 weeks ago (I was up  to 294 at that point). I met with a the surgeon recommended dietician who said that I should loose weight prior to the surgery to avoid complication and she gave me info on the South Beach Diet which I immediately started using Phase 1. I've lost 15 pounds in those 2 weeks and I am currently down to 279. So I think you may know what I'm about to say; I started to think "Hey I can do this South Beach thing-It's not bad and I'll stick with it forever and I won't need the surgery. Then I remember that losing weight isn't my problem - It's the "long term" keeping it off that I at %^ have continued to fail at. I think I can guess some responses I will receive but I sure could use some advice and or encouragement. Thanks

Sunny_One
on 10/21/14 10:20 am

Thats what I kept thinking too, I can stick with this, Ive been losing weight, going to the gym...

But its the long term I have trouble with.  I love the quote my therapist uses :  "Everyone can sprint, but not everyone can run the marathon."

We all need a little help with the long term stuff.  I have found that support is key, so welcome to the boards!
Think about it as a gift to yourself, you deserve it! :)

And good luck to you on your journey!

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 10:49 am - OH

Do you really think you could stick to your current diet forever?  Haven't you tried that before?  How did it go?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

October2014rny
on 10/21/14 11:10 am

Hi, just wanted to send a little bit of encouragement your way. I had the same thoughts you are having. I am only 2 weeks post-op, but already I know I made the right decision and wish I had done it a long time ago. My Dr. Recommended the sleeve but I asked for the RNY so that's what I got, mainly because I was a sugar addict. I also knew the RNY is reversible if ever needed. I also thought that I didn't want to do this again so I wanted to go for the gold and start with the best. I am still sore but I have not been hungry and I no longer crave food at all. My taste has changed and the smell of sweets makes me kind of sick. I just wanted to let you know that you can lose weight without starving. It is not an easy road, but it is very rewarding and I have only just begun. Whatever you choose I hope it turns out perfect. Good luck 

selhard
on 10/21/14 1:20 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I lost 80# during the six-month insurance waiting period having a two-fold mission:  1. the more weight I lost ahead of time, the better chances surgery would go well   2.  losing as much as possible was a jump-start to successful long-term weight loss like never before. 

clr055
on 10/22/14 3:56 am - Lewisville, ID

I have lost significant amount of weight twice. The last time I did it I was seriously considering WLS and thought I would give it one last, full fledge, effort. I lost 70 pounds following a high protein, low carb diet. And then I gained it all back. Like one poster said prior to me, everyone can sprint but few can run a marathon... I am not a marathon runner and need something to help me pull this off long term. I get the feeling you are the same way. That last weight loss was in 2008... that is 6 years I have wasted being obese that I could have had the surgery then and been done! It is worth it. Just remember, a regular diet has a 98% failure rate.. with a failure rate like that then a diet is not a solution. Weight loss surgery is a solution.

Zonechef
on 10/22/14 4:14 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Thanks so much for the advice and support.  I m much less confused I really do need to this and with your help I am goimg beat this monster and get my life back.  Thanks so much

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 121 views
Recent Topics