narcotics and no patience

JeepGrrl
on 10/23/14 4:16 pm

Hi there, I am one year post op. My dilemma is that I have chronic neck and lower back disc issues. I am currently taking 10 mg of Percocet with 30mg of oxycodone to get some relief. While it doesn't take the pain away, it barely takes the edge off. Anything below the opiate class doesn't work for me and hasn't for years. The only thing these meds do for me is take the edge off, nothing else and while trying to explain to my doctors is just crazy, they act like they don't believe me but I believe they are not familiar with ALL  WLS and the meds that are affected when we take them.  So for now, I am on a search for something that doesn't make me too drowsy and stays in my system for a little longer than 2 hours.

Jenn S.
on 10/24/14 5:52 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I would not only get a second opinion but I would find a doctor who will help you find a more permanent solution than drugging you up on a regular basis.  I had major back issues prior to my WLS but there is no way I would have settled for just drugs.  Back pain is like none other and it affects your quality of life.  You need a doctor who will work with you to get physical therapy, pain management and if that doesn't work, surgery.  I had back surgery in 2009.  It was a life changer.  You may not need to go that far, but doping you up is a temporary solution.  I hope you are able to find a doctor who is truly on your side.  Hang in there!

JeepGrrl
on 10/26/14 2:13 pm

Jenn,

I couldn't agree more, however I have been denied 3x by my PPO, they do not think that my two herniated discs are anything to worry about and suggest I take all the things that I can no longer take for the rest of my life. I have done PT, and actually my neurosurgeons are just not educated on bariatric surgeries and their types, to what we can and can't have. So while I wait for the ok on another surgery I have to take narcotics and finding one that will stay in my system long enough has been a real challenge. My Dr is on my side, but the insurance is by far giving me one headache after another. Sorry I should of written all of this in the first part.

Bibo
on 10/24/14 12:26 pm

My physical medicine doctor ordered a TENS unit for me. It's little patches of electrodes that sit on the skin and basically distract the nerves by having a little battery operated, self regulated, electrical stimulation to the nerves. That has given me more relief than anything. Also having a good physical therapist who has some experience that can fine tune the physical therapy regimen. And I do biofeedback, which my primary referred me for that, or they sell stuff on Amazon , or  online that can teach you how to do that.  Personally, I find that having regular access to a hot tub works better than anything for me. Nothing is perfect, but that, in combination with prescribed medications for breakthrough pain has really been better than staying doped up and in constant pain. I hope you get some relief soon. It's no fun having disc issues. I am going to meet with a back surgeon soon to see if they can do anything for mine.

JeepGrrl
on 10/26/14 2:19 pm

I have done the tens unit, and I really can't do hot tubs much because my diabetes didn't go away, and I think that having had it for almost 24 yrs...it has lessened but may never really leave me. Nothing really is going to help me except surgery, I have been through a lot of surgeries in the past year 5 major surgeries :( and PT on top of them. Thankyou for your suggestions, I appreciate that...as I told Jenn I am still searching for something that will stay in my system long enough...to lesson the pain enough would be nice.

Bibo
on 10/26/14 2:53 pm

times like that makes ne wish pot was legal--a cream or something

MyLady Heidi
on 10/27/14 1:36 pm

The only pain relief I have ever had since rny is by iv.  Oral painkillers do not work for me at all, I get a super drugged feeling that I cannot function with.  Have they tried pain patches?  I haven't but I had a friend they helped.

JeepGrrl
on 10/29/14 3:05 am

I have tried the fentanyl patches they to.ok the edge off but made me really drowsy. I can't do any delayed released meds darn it.

snoopy123
on 10/28/14 11:13 am

I did morphine for 2 years because of my knees. I did 15 mg twice a day then a 30 slow release at night. That was the only thing that worked for me the percs or oxy stoped working after some time. Now that my knees are better I have weaned off of the morphine and back to 5 mg of  Percs once a day for about 2 weeks.

JeepGrrl
on 10/29/14 3:07 am

I may try the morphine. How does it come dispensed?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404