Problems with seafood

joansch
on 10/24/14 1:32 am

Hi, everyone. I'm almost 8 weeks post-op and have tolerated most things pretty well. The one exception seems to be seafood! Twice I've had fish, and had to throw it up each time. Shrimp got stuck and gave me a lot of pain. Last night I had a crab cake (broiled, minimum filler, and ate only the middle) that was nice and moist -- half-way through it suddenly felt stuck and 30 seconds later I had to hop up from the restaurant table and rush to the bathroom. I vomited up a little, and had severe pain the rest of the evening.

I've been able to eat beef, pork, chicken, etc with no problems at all. But the only seafood I've been able to tolerate is scallops.

Has anyone else had this issue? It seems strange to me, as fish should be far softer and easier to digest than beef or pork. And I really like fish -- I'd hate to have to give it up.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Dartmouth
on 10/24/14 1:38 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Never happened to me....it would make me really sad as fish is my best friend!

Hope it sorts out soon!

momjan
on 10/24/14 1:55 am - Canada

You never know what will not 'work' anymore or for a while at least.  Just put fish off your list for a while and then re-introduce perhaps at a later time.  At 4 years out, I still react to rice and bread.  Not a bad thing as both are unnecessary carbs, but the other day I was out for lunch at a sushi only place.  Had one piece of tempura and one sushi roll and my stomach started to hurt so badly I could not have anything more for lunch.  And I could tell it was the rice, not the tempura as it felt sort of 'scratchy' in my stomach...bread does this as well.  Oh well, sushi was not a good choice for me with the carbs, but the grandchild really wanted it......   And of course, it could have been one of the fillers in the crab cake, but you won't know what caused the reaction.

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/14 4:44 am

Shrimp and lobster are tough you have to make sure you really chew and chew.Some plans don't put seafood till later than 8 weeks.Hopefully it will pass.I know sometimes and I am not a vet I am a year out and I still can have a problem with some foods.

I do know that sometimes I need to slow down.I wait till I am so hungry I forget then I have to walk it off.

poet_kelly
on 10/24/14 6:30 am - OH

I'd skip the seafood for a few weeks, then try it again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chilipepper
on 10/24/14 6:57 am

All instances sound like chewing issues. Stick it in a mini cuisenart. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Eggface
on 10/24/14 7:40 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Don't rule it out forever... just because something is on a cleared to eat list from your Dr doesn't mean your body is ready for it. Shrimp was the first thing that got stuck... I was sad and thought I'd never eat it again. I braved it a month later and sure enough it was fine. Hope you will find it to be the same.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

GodsChildII
on 10/24/14 11:31 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I live in Seattle and REALLY enjoy seafood. Shrimp, crab, lobster and fish especially are big parts of my diet. So far with the exception of trying to scarf down my shrimp to quick without chewing it well and getting sick; I  have had no other issues with seafood. In fact I had calamari today for lunch.

i am not a vet but I say, give it a try again in a few weeks!

Bibo
on 10/24/14 1:46 pm

I had that issue with salmon early on, got so sick i couldn't even stand the smell of it for about a year...tried it last week again and started very slowly, chewed carefully, but it seems to be fine now.

Bibo
on 10/24/14 1:49 pm

to the post about sushi...have you tried sashimi>  no rice....just the fish....delicious......

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics