Almost 11 weeks out and everything tastes nasty

Blueiiis
on 10/25/14 9:47 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I never thought I would ever say this... But everything tastes awful, and I can barely force myself to eat.  I was doing fine up until a couple of weeks ago, and since then everything I eat tastes bad.  Just, awful.  I always have a bad taste in my mouth too. So after a couple of bites I can barely choke down anymore.  My protein intake is low, my liquid intake is not where it should be.  Is this normal? Someone please tell me it will pass lol.

Karen M.
on 10/25/14 10:58 am - Mississauga, Canada

You probably won't like my advice, but here it is anyway:

First, yes it will pass with time.

The bad taste in your mouth could be from any number of things - ketosis, not enough fluids, etc.

At this stage I had a thought that I locked in my mind: Eating/drinking is my full-time job right now. I need to do this to be well. It may not taste good, but it's good for me.

Hang in there.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Blueiiis
on 10/25/14 11:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I swear that I hear your words in my head every time I try to choke down a protein shake -- that I have to drink it like it or not - suck it up lol.

i am becoming a little concerned though. It's not that I am whining that it's gross and I don't want to eat....  I don't have to love everything I eat.... But after two or three bites, I will take a bite and have to spit it out or else I am going to throw up.  It's a bad food aversion. I hope this passes and soon.  

Karen M.
on 10/25/14 11:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yeah, I know I sound like a freakin' nagging mom sometimes.  And like the freakin' nagging mom, it's said with love and concern.

True food aversion is a real concern and I'm afraid you're going to have to white knuckle this a little to avoid getting to that point. I went through a little of this myself very early out and I remember one of my best friends telling me, "Karen, you're going to work yourself up into an eating disorder if you don't get yourself under control." and she was right. I don't want to use the words "force feeding" - it's really not that, but it was a mental game that I had to beat myself at. I would list in my mind all of the things that I was allowed to eat at that stage and pick the one that sounded most appealing - didn't matter that it was breakfast time and I wanted tuna, tuna became a breakfast of champions.  If you're not getting enough fluids, anything will seem repulsive to ingest. You have to "train" your gut to receive food. The more fluids and food you can get into you, the easier it will become.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

poet_kelly
on 10/25/14 11:18 am - OH

It's because you're in ketosis.  You're burning fat.  Bet you have really bad breath, too.

It will pass.  When you're getting more carbs.  But you wanna burn fat right now.

Drink and get your protein in anyway.  I know that's easier said than done.  But do it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 10/25/14 2:18 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

It is normal and will go away with time.  Down the road, you'll probably wish to have it back again.

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/25/14 8:04 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Normal and yes it will pass. Try to shake things up. I drank lots of herbal tea cause water was yuck. I ate more savoury things as the sweet stuff was gagging. And I cranked up the spices. Just ideas. Hang in there but you must push through. Drink drink and protein. Good luck!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Zizzler
on 10/26/14 1:44 am

Hey Blueiis, sorry to hear food is tasting bad to you.  Lots of foods I used to like I am not hungry for anymore either an don't feel good after I eat them, eggs for example do not sit well at all.  Some days I am not hungry at all and must gently force myself to get in my water, vitamins, and the minimum amount of protein.  It was like that most days until maybe a month ago, so maybe you just need a bit more time for your stomach to adjust.  For protein I would recommend putting unflavoured protein powder from bulk barn into the foods you eat whenever possible, it adds up to a lot of protein with less eating necessary.  Also the premier protein shakes are good if drank really cold, and 30g protein per, you can get them at Costco. They are only 325ml so easier to drink than some others.  You could also call your centre and ask them if they have any recommendations for you, that is what they are there for.  Whatever you do don't give up, you can do this one day at a time.  And before you know it you will be eating more easily.  Hang in there!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/14 5:42 am

Dehydration may cause that . Also I think vitamin - mineral deficiencies can cause that. Maybe zinc.... Not sure. Google that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 363 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 286 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views
Recent Topics