6 Month Diet Problem

clr055
on 10/30/14 5:51 am - Lewisville, ID

So my insurance (BlueCross of Idaho) requires a 6 month physician led diet. I have lost 25 pounds on it. But starting this last week I am up 3 pounds, I can't shake these damned three pounds!! We submit for approval next week. Has anyone experienced or heard of someone being denied because they gained weight during the diet? Even if they are under where they started?! I am petrified! Thanks for any guidance...

mdaggett
on 10/30/14 5:56 am
RNY on 11/19/14

I can't see them denying you for 3 lbs.  We all fluctuate.  I think you will be just fine.  

joansch
on 10/30/14 6:18 am

I have CareFirst (Blue Cross in MD), and had to have a 6-month monitored weight loss program. I was able to use my year-long attendance at Medi-Fast for approval, and I can assure you that my net weight loss over that year was about 10 pounds. I think insurance companies just want to see that you had some type of monitored attempt to lose weight to demonstrate that WLS wasn't your first (and only) choice.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Sherrie P.
on 10/30/14 11:52 am
RNY on 02/06/13

No - normally you just have to document that you tried. I wouldn't worry!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

DKD250
on 10/30/14 12:22 pm

I also have BCBS and I gain weight during my 6 month preop. I had been taking diet pills and fat burners up till the time I went for consult with doctor.  I was still in hope I could take it off without surgery.  Like many of us know, once we quit using those products, we gain the weight back and then some.  All that said, I am now almost one year out and no problem with insurance.

poet_kelly
on 10/30/14 9:38 pm - OH

Your didn't really gain, you lost 22 lbs.  I guess it depends on your insurance policy - do they require you not gain anything on the six month diet?  But I don't think they would deny you for losing 22 lbs instead of 25.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics