paranoid I didn't actually have RNY

cspotrun
on 10/30/14 9:04 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I know this is really strange but I've always had this strange feeling in my gut (no pun intended) that I had the sleeve and not RNY.  I think it all started pre-op when at each visit with the nurse, nut, and doc, they always said, "you're getting the sleeve right?".  I had to correct them each time.  And again right before surgery!  But I made sure the document I signed said RNY.  I really do not think I actually had the sleeve, but it keeps popping in my head.  For example, I have been getting some moderate heartburn, and my first thought is that I had the sleeve!  My silly brain.....

Karen   

emelar
on 10/30/14 9:36 am - TX

Contact the hospital and get a copy of your surgical report and whatever testing was done.  It'll be in medical-speak, but you'll be able to figure out generally what was done.  And certainly you'll be able to tell whether it was RNY versus sleeve!

cspotrun
on 10/30/14 9:50 am
RNY on 07/01/14

that's definitely an option, but really I think I am just being paranoid.  There is plenty more evidence that I actually did get RNY.  And I wouldn't be upset at all with the sleeve, except the heartburn part...which is actually the whole reason my doctor and I chose RNY!

Karen   

emelar
on 10/31/14 6:05 am - TX

I understand.  I like getting the surgical reports just because they can be kinda interesting.  And then you have them in hand if you ever have reason to show them to another doc. 

cspotrun
on 10/31/14 6:49 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Great point! And my mom's a doctor so she could translate for me. Thanks. 

Karen   

Grim_Traveller
on 10/30/14 9:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A lot of people have such an easy recovery that they think they might have been in a placebo group, and not had surgery at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cspotrun
on 10/30/14 10:04 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Ha!  Now that's funny.  Nah I wouldn't say my recovery was easy.  Not terrible, but certainly not easy so I know something major happened inside there.  

Karen   

jackietex
on 10/30/14 9:58 am
I didn't have that problem. What I worried about is that because I "only" had 80-90 pounds to lose, that the doctor wouldn't give me a full rny.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

cspotrun
on 10/30/14 10:04 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Whatever they did to you it worked!

Karen   

Poodlemac
on 10/30/14 12:58 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I've had the same thought. I originally wanted the sleeve and was originally approved for the sleeve by the insurance. My doctors were the ones who decided I'd be better served with RNY. They resubmitted and got my RNY approval and no one ever said anything about it, really. Then, come surgery day, the precious nurse anesthetist was concerned about my being a bit nervous and gave me some happy medicine before I ever saw my surgeon. Then When he came in, I don't remember having any conversation with him at all. I remembered thinking long before surgery that I needed to confirm we were doing RNY and was even going to write it on my belly but of course I forgot.   Anyway, I know something happened!  I know I can't eat much and I've pretty much been off my nexium although I take it because my reflux was SO bad before that it makes me nervous to go without it because that was NEVER an option!  Then I read that some people have "silent reflux" and I get all nervous. I guess we should have faith in our awesome docs we chose to care for us and be grateful!!!

But, I feel ya!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views