Carb addict question.

pookieg
on 11/3/14 11:05 pm - DFW, TX

I'm a carb addict.  I am thinking of getting a gastric bypass as my lap band is just not doing anything for me.  Am I going to have trouble?

unrulyjulie
on 11/3/14 11:16 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I am a carb addict, which is why my diabetes was so hard to control.

Right now after the RNY I have an aversion to pasta, bread, rice, stuffing, donuts, pastries and most carbs.  Just don't appeal anymore.  Next week I can have toast so hopefully it won't start me on a downward spiral.

mdaggett
on 11/4/14 1:06 am
RNY on 11/19/14

Oh how I hope to acquire those same aversions.  You are very lucky.  :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/4/14 1:47 am - OH

You are still very newly post-op and the lack of appeal of certain foods will almost certainly pass.  (Just because you CAN have toast next week doesn't mean that you should choose to do so.)

Unfortunately, surgery does nothing for us long-term to eliminate any kinds of food cravings.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

unrulyjulie
on 11/4/14 2:05 am
RNY on 09/29/14

I'm sure the aversion will pass, in fact I'm 100% sure of it.  For now I will use the opportunity to taste other foods and detox from some of the high sugar simple carbs.  Helping for sure with better meal choices and breaking the habit of running through the drive thru for 2 donuts,  forcing me to learn to cook.

dccyr
on 11/4/14 3:41 am

I'm cooking way more at home now and enjoying it.  Save money on eating out and more on groceries but still save money. 

selhard
on 11/3/14 11:19 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Gastric bypass won't cure you from being a carb addict. It will provide short-term relief by way of significant food intake restriction and calorie malabsorption the first 12-15 months. If you want gastric bypass to be a long-term solution for you, it requires education and hard-working dedication...lots of it.  If not, yes, you will have trouble.

pookieg
on 11/3/14 11:40 pm - DFW, TX

I am concerned about being dizzy and or nauseous if I eat any carbs.  Is there a daily limit you are supposed to adhere to?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/4/14 1:53 am - OH

If you are talking about dumping, only 30% of RNYers dump, so the odds are that you won't, and even most people who DO dump are more sensitive to processed sugar than to carbs.

No, there is no universal guideline for how many carbs should be consumed in a day.  Some surgeons have numbers they suggest, while others just tell people to focus on protein and healthy, balanced food choices, and limiting "white" carbs. There actually aren't any universal guidelines for anything post-op other than at least 60g of protein and 64 ounces of water. Everything else is finding out how many calories, carbs, fats, etc. work for YOU.

Other than the immediate post-op period (and sometimes not even THEN) surgery does not fix food cravings of any kind. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eggface
on 11/4/14 12:05 am, edited 11/4/14 2:01 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I was a white bread, bagels, pasta, rice, chips, cracker person pre-op. I have chosen not to reintroduce them post-wls... along with work on some of the "head stuff" that caused me to overeat. It's not a solution for everyone but its the path I have chosen to take... I have found alternatives that I love and I being away from those foods I had little control of pre-op for so long now (8+ years) makes you really lose the craving for them... rarely do I want one of those listed above. Now that being said... the surgery type has little to do with it... it helped me stay away for the first few weeks (fear of wadded up bread or pasta getting stuck, stuff like that) but after those few weeks... I knew if I was eating a hunk of shrimp or steak I could probably eat a hunk of bagel. Hence the working on the head stuff. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?