Apple Cider Vinegar Users

Tanya S.
on 11/9/14 11:28 am
RNY on 03/25/14

I have been taking a couple tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar for the past week to help with constipation and I am happy to say it is working better than MOM or daily dosages of colace. However, I am a bit concerned I may be using the ACV a little early since my RNY was only 9 months ago. My question is, is there other people out there using ACV. If so, how long after surgery did you start? Also, how long does it take the internal healing from an RNY to completely heal so the vinegar will not irritate it? It is so nice to have regular BMs again, I hate to stop using ACV, but worry that I may need to wait several more months to use it daily.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/14 8:40 pm

IMO if you feel pain or discomfort - that may indicate irtitation. But if you don't have any discomfort. The Apple cider vinegar can be a wonderful addition... 

I wish i could drink it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chulbert
on 11/9/14 10:32 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You are absolutely, 100% healed inside and out by 9 months.  Way sooner than that, really.

Chilipepper
on 11/11/14 3:59 am

Can I see your documentation on that?  Are you a Bariatric surgeon or just one who plays one on a message board. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

chulbert
on 11/11/14 5:39 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

When your surgeon lifts all dietary restrictions and clears you for all activities you can be pretty sure you're completely healed.  Some tissues and parts of the body can take a very long time to heal due to low vascularity or other factors but they don't really apply to your guts.

Chilipepper
on 11/11/14 6:28 am

Oh they don't. I wouldn't be so sure.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

chulbert
on 11/11/14 6:33 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

That's your choice.  Everyone makes their own path.  Best wishes.

clr055
on 11/10/14 1:57 am - Lewisville, ID

Vinegar is like a wonder substance. Good for you for using it and so glad it helps in that area. I didn't know it did that but will tuck that info away for after surgery!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/10/14 2:46 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I hadn't heard of this, and I am interested in using this method to alleviate constipation.  First, I am terrified of getting an ulcer. and since this is an acid, does it increase our risk?  Is it safe to use ACV daily?  Do you dilute it, take it with food, etc?  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Tanya S.
on 11/11/14 1:42 am
RNY on 03/25/14

I found a good book for free on Amazon called "The Apple Cide Guide". It explains that while ACV is considered an acid, it works like alkaline in your body. There have not been enough scientific studies to explain why this happens (probably because there is no money to be made in vinegar so there is no money in funding research for it). However, there are a few valid studies that document the healthy benefits of using ACV and a lot of antidotal documentation.

the book recommends between 1 tsp and 2 Tbsp of ACV per day. It can be diluted in a cup of water and drank or mixed with oil and used as a dressing on food. It also points out that for the ACV to be most be beneficial, it needs to be unpasteurized and "with the mother" (this is the healthy bacteria in the vinegar). Personally, I don't like the strong taste of drinking a cup of vinegar water, so I chug-a-lug 2 Tbsps per day and follow with a teaspoon of honey to sooth the burn. Also I drink clear water after and be sure to rinse my teeth well. The vinegar can eat the enamel off your teeth so rinsing after is very important. One other thing the book recommends is talking to your physician before starting ACV because it might interact with some prescription meds.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 517 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics