Any RNs on here?

Annakay76
on 11/4/14 9:52 pm

Hi! I work nights in the maternity center, when I met my surgeon he suggested I move to days so I can have a better schedule for eating/sleeping/exercise. I worry when it gets super busy how I'm going to manage to take the time to eat several smaller meals. Any advice? I only plan on taking 2 weeks off for surgery.

hammonds99
on 11/5/14 2:37 am

I too am a RN, and working nights does screw with your eating and drinking.  But it can be done.  I just take high protein snacks that can be quick to eat.  Then have a meal during my lunch.  I do struggle to get all my fluids in, but JUST SIP SIP SIP.  I find PM shift works the best because I can try to get a good portion of my protein and fluid before I go to work.  I hope this helps. 

jenorama
on 11/5/14 2:52 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

RainbowRN on here is an RN and has been very successful.  Take a look at her posts--she may have some useful tips for you.  :D  Good luck and keep us posted!

Jen

RainbowRN
on 11/8/14 10:21 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

thanks! :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

KateTheGreat84
on 11/5/14 10:00 am

I'm not a RN but an EMT that works on the trauma unit of a busy Chicago hospital... well anyway I think you need to talk to your surgeon about taking more time off work mine is insisting I take 4-6 weeks off due to the amount of lifting we do. I was told nothing over 10lbs during that time. And yes I agree the night shift significantly messes with your eating and sleep schedule but I also agree that if you walk in with a plan and food prepped you'll won the battle. Good luck!!

KateTheGreat84
on 11/5/14 10:02 am
princessjess73
on 11/6/14 4:27 am - Lees Summit, MO

When I switched to days on l and d I was better at eating. At night when i worked i wouldn't eat and the eat a big meal and go to bed. not good for weight loss!There is no way you can go back to floor nursing in just 2 weeks on maternity. On my unit we had a lot of 200-300 lb moms. My surgeon has a wt restriction of 10 lbs. you don't want to rupture the suture line. My friend took 5. Weeks and she sis much better. Good luck!

happycats
on 11/6/14 6:33 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I am an RN, but I work in long term care.  I went back to work after two weeks and was ok. It was difficult at first, I was sooo tired, but I made it through. I don't have any advice about working nights, though, but I'm sure it's doable if you can keep yourself on a schedule. Good luck!

RainbowRN
on 11/8/14 10:19 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I'm an RN and I am 20 months post op and I have lost 178 lbs and the whole time I worked night shift. 7p-7a.  It can be done.  When I got up for work I ate a small meal.  Foreach break at work I would eat a protein snack.  For my lunch I ate a normal meal.   I would usually have some oatmeal or something a couple hours before the end of my shift.  In between all that I would drink my fluids.  

It it can be done.  I work on a very busy inpatient unit at a hospital.  Started at 373 and now I am 195 with 25 more lbs to lose. 😃

RainbowRN
on 11/8/14 10:22 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Also, I tried to go back to work at 4 weeks and couldn't do it.  My floor was too heavy.  I went back after 6 weeks.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views