Lactose intolerant - Immediately post-op or possible 1 year out?

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/5/14 2:01 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am currently 14.5 months out from revision to RNY and 2 weeks out from hernia repair with TT and muscle repair.  

I am experiencing for the first time since my bypass surgery - severe gas (like Olympic championship burping), bloating and actually vomiting everything I eat/drink even hours later.  My PCP thinks I have Gastro stomach flu or that I am now lactose intolerant.  I have an endoscope scheduled for Friday to rule out ulcers but was wondering if anyone had ever experienced a delayed reaction to milk products, whey protein etc this far out?

Thanks for your thoughts - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Dee.spunk
on 11/5/14 3:35 am - Sacramento, CA
Yes! At first I was able to drink milk, though I wasn't drinking a whole lot. But at about a year out, every time I tried milk, or dairy in general I'd end up in the bathroom. So no milk for me. I get painfully bloated!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

poet_kelly
on 11/5/14 8:25 am - OH

Many people, even if they haven't had RNY, become lactose intolerant as they age.  We need an enzyme called lactase to digest lactose and as we age, we produce less of that.  But lactose intolerance does not usually cause vomitting, just gas and bloating and maybe stomach pains.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/5/14 4:54 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13
On November 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Many people, even if they haven't had RNY, become lactose intolerant as they age.  We need an enzyme called lactase to digest lactose and as we age, we produce less of that.  But lactose intolerance does not usually cause vomitting, just gas and bloating and maybe stomach pains.

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm off to my surgeon's office so hopefully we will find out why I am so  ill. Thanks again!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 193 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views